walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skye Corbett bashing Day1

Skye Corbett bashing Day1

Postby tall-story » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:24 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Garbh-bheinn (Skye)

Fionas included on this walk: Belig

Date walked: 15/08/2015

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 9 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This wee visit to Skye was part of a warming up for my completion of the Munros the following week, and also I had wanted to climb these since I first saw them some 30 odd years ago when I was first on Skye :wink:
As usual it was a fairly early start leaving Doune at 630am which was as usual just to try and beat the tourist traffic :) Which I seemed to do until I hit Skye at just about the same time as the B and Bs were chucking out :shock:
The drive and weather was pretty good but the cloud was low and although the forecast was good the rain made an appearance just as I was pulling into the layby at the Head of Loch Ainort it absolutely **** down and it went on for at least an hour :(
Garbh Bheinn (2).JPG
**** Down
Garbh Bheinn (3).JPG
That look pretty much summed things up !
and I was really thinking the weather was so wrong it was going to be a wet walk, so I sat for over an hour and the cloud had started to lift so it was time to go.
Garbh Bheinn (5).JPG
The first look at our days route
Garbh Bheinn (8).JPG
Water run-off but still time to head :-)
It did turn out to be the correct thing to do as within a half hour from start it began to clear even more and even wee glimpses of the sun and that meant that the water proofs could come off :)
Garbh Bheinn (32).JPG
Where we were to go !
Garbh Bheinn (38).JPG
Drying up at last :-)
Its a pretty obvious path that you follow up the ridge till you meet an old fence line then things begin to get a wee bit more interesting , not scary but you just have to pay a bit more attention to your footing as there is increasing amounts of scree and boulders.
Garbh Bheinn (50).JPG
Lifting cloud and views out towards Loch Coruisk
The path does pick its way through the boulders all the way to the summit but the very top was mostly clagged in and pretty windy too by the time I got there,
Garbh Bheinn (56).JPG
A break in the cloud and Jura having a bad hair day :-)
Garbh Bheinn (61).JPG
Claggy summit
so we had to be a bit carefull as I wasn't quite sure how the path went around the rocks to get the descent on to Belig,
Garbh Bheinn (68).JPG
Belig from Garbh Bheinn
but with a wee bit of care you will find the path and surely enough it takes you to where you want to be. The ridge, although rocks and scree is pretty easy going as it widens out as it drops in altitude, at about 750mts I came out of the clag and then could see easily where I was meant to be. That was the last of the clag for that day as it just lifted and got clearer all day from then on :D I carried on and just a wee bit up Belig
Garbh Bheinn (70).JPG
Garbh Bheinn from Belig
Garbh Bheinn (71).JPG
Superb
Garbh Bheinn (77).JPG
:-)
Just about where the wall starts and had a tea break and I just marvelled at how these Masons and labourers managed to build such walls on that kind of angle and at how big some of the stones were that they used :shock:
Garbh Bheinn (88).JPG
How did they do it ???
Its a steady climb all the way to the top of Belig and the higher you get the better the views get :) in all directions it just gets better and better.
Garbh Bheinn (93).JPG
Belig Summit and a gorgeous views.
Garbh Bheinn (95).JPG
A very tired Jura :-(
Tea and photos done it was time to negotiate the scree almost all the way down the N ridge back to the start, good fun but you do have to be careful and the final push to the car park was a bit boggy in places so I ended up with wet feet where I had kept them dry all the rest of the day :( So that was that , the Garbh Bheinn - Belig, loop ended up being a descent day out with some fairly good photos and views :)
Garbh Bheinn (120).JPG
Belig and Garbh Bheinn pano
Garbh Bheinn (118).JPG
Stats
From there my journey took me to the Sligachan camp site so I duly got the tent up and then some food followed with a couple of beers :wink: But it was a bit early yet so I took the camera and went for a wander while planning tomorrows walk and the day just continued to get better and better (apart from the midges) and I think I got some pretty good photos of the Sligachan end of the Cuillin ridge before retiring ready for an early start on Glamig the next day :)
Garbh Bheinn (135).JPG
Jura at her best
Garbh Bheinn (136).JPG
The Gorgeous Cuillin
Garbh Bheinn (139).JPG
The Gorgeous Cuillin again :-)
Garbh Bheinn and Marsco from Belig.JPG
The Garbh Bheinn ridge with Marsco
Glamaig and Loch Aillort 1.JPG
Glamaig from Garbh Bheinn, Tomorrows Target
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

tall-story
Walker

Munros:158   Corbetts:222
Fionas:37   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Re: Skye Corbett bashing Day1

Postby ancancha » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:05 am

Some very nice views, glad the clag lifted for you :D
Good luck with the completion :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby dooterbang » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:13 am

Jura bad hair day photo is a belter, made me grin ear to ear :)

Some great photos of the Skye Cuillin, looked a good walk too. Now looking forward to the compleation report :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:51 am

Jura's bad hair day must be a contender for photo of the month.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby PeteR » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:21 pm

Superb report and photos. I really fancy these two at some point and your comments seem to suggest it's not as scrambly a route and I might have imagined :D

As for the "bad hair day" photo - classic :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:46 pm

Nice one..some nice images too..liked the one with the bridge and Sgurr nan Gillean. Cheers Kenny
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby tall-story » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:56 pm

scottishkennyg wrote:Nice one..some nice images too..liked the one with the bridge and Sgurr nan Gillean. Cheers Kenny

Thanks scottishkennyg, Aye there is a couple of not to bad snaps in that lot, the light was just about perfect after my dinner so I just couldn't resist the urge of taking a couple of shots using the river and bridge for a bit of extra subject in the Sgurr nan Gillean photos :)

PeteR wrote:
As for the "bad hair day" photo - classic :lol:

litljortindan wrote:Jura's bad hair day must be a contender for photo of the month.

dooterbang wrote:Jura bad hair day photo is a belter, made me grin ear to ear :)

Some great photos of the Skye Cuillin, looked a good walk too. Now looking forward to the compleation report :wink:

Thanks for the nice comments :clap: Yes, the Jura photo was a bit lucky maybe but at least I was ready with the camera. dooterbang, as far as the completion report goes, these things take forever to do so it might be a day or two yet :roll:
tall-story
Walker

Munros:158   Corbetts:222
Fionas:37   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland