walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mullardoch- a round of 9 and crossing on a Therm a Rest

Mullardoch- a round of 9 and crossing on a Therm a Rest

by Mountainlove » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:36 pm

Route description: Tom a' Chòinich & Toll Creagach, Glen Affric

Munros included on this walk: An Riabhachan, An Socach (Mullardoch), Beinn Fhionnlaidh (Càrn Eige), Càrn Eige, Càrn nan Gobhar (Loch Mullardoch), Màm Sodhail, Sgùrr na Lapaich, Toll Creagach, Tom a' Chòinich

Date walked: 17/08/2015

Time taken: 23 hours

Distance: 42.8 km

Ascent: 3782m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Mullardoch- a round of 9 and crossing on a Therm a Rest

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:01 am

Great expedition, and really excellent report - 2 Mullardoch reports in one week - brilliant (thinking of Weaselmaster's also). I can look at pics of this route interminably, 'cos I didn't really get any reasonable ones when I did it (ancient mobile, running out of battery). They're all good, but the sunset one is particularly nice :clap: :clap: - I can just imagine how good it looked thinking that you were just about to crash!

I'm truly astonished that you multiple day guys manage to lug all your gear over that distance - Ress- peckt!!! (BTW your pack looks astonishingly small - I really wonder how on earth you do it! There are clearly some very arcane packing skills involved here...). Well done :clap: :clap:

Good to see you're continuing the swim-walk theme - though I still miss the selfie during the crossing.... But you'll soon need something new... So how about: living off the land (goat stew...??)???

I did the route the other way around, but my experience reflected yours in many ways: utterly utterly jaw-dropping views of the Cuillin and Torridon; that rough and boggy bit at the beginning (at the end for me - I did it anti-clockwise); and the water problems. I always take loads of water on ridges - bitter experience; but 2 litres was not enough by a country mile for each of the ridges. I was reduced to sucking snow; from which it's quite impossible to get enough water, as anyone who's tried it knows :( .

Just a practical point: I notice you wear boots, and that you got blisters. I did the round in trail shoes (on for the first time) in combination with 1000 mile socks and got no blisters at all. Have you tried this approach? I used to wear boots, but always got blisters on long routes; so I gave them up when I realised that fell runners did the self-same routes in running shoes, with no apparent problems. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it does for me, and for quite a few others.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Borderhugh » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:08 am

Nice one Maja. :clap: Looking fwd to doing these in the coming days. Your piccies are definitely wetting my appetite. Beats airport lounges! Just trying to think what comes after Lilos and thermarest sleep mats. Dont get any ideas of 'swimming' it to Mull. Dont think Lilos will fair well in the Corryvreckan!
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:120
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:102   Islands:23

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:33 am

Dear All many thanks for your replies!

dogplodder: Yes I was able to smell them a mile away :D

dooterbang: After the swim I had temporarily new bones :D Swimming in the sea is great as well...not as cold but you might agree still cold enough lol

Lmitch and goth_angel: I am not sure yet, it all depends on the weather now

Alteknacker: Trust me carrying heavy gear over multiple mountains isn't one of my favorite past times either, but I love the freedom it gives you. As for pack size mine is a 48l one. I just manage to squeeze everything in it. Worst thing to carry is food and water. Always end up with too much food (better too much than not enough)
Regarding my boots I know what you mean! But after having soaking wet feed during my last walk :? I wanted to be dry again, specially on such a long round. Killing a goat! Gulp! :shock: I watched it done during my time in Nepal, but have to say that I certainly did not feel any kind of hunger afterwards... so I don't think adventures of a berry picker would work haha
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby malky_c » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:09 am

Less swimming than Loch Quoich perhaps, but possibly more bizarre :D . No wetsuit either - brrr! What's next - Mull on an inflated Platypus bladder? :wink:

Great report 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby scottishkennyg » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:32 pm

Nice one ML, you are building a bit of a fan club now with the swim-gear approach... :clap: Cheers Kenny
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby ancancha » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:12 am

Another fine tale with some good pics :clap:
Wild swimming is cool 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:41 pm

Wow ! There are some names that one looks out for when searching the Walk Reports and yours are top of the list Maja.
After the swim back for a wash, well of course Jeez Id be freezing me bits off. But these are amazing hills,and that's some way to do them, epic :D
Some follow in others footsteps for their adventures, but you take the lead. well done :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:46 am

Many thanks all for your comments!! :D :D
Had to laugh about Mull on an inflated Platypus bladder? Lol I think I would skip that one...although after checking Mull the Isle of Ulva looks pretty easy to get too :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Islands:10

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Many thanks all for your comments!! :D :D
Had to laugh about Mull on an inflated Platypus bladder? Lol I think I would skip that one...although after checking Mull the Isle of Ulva looks pretty easy to get too :D

I think you should be more ambitious and climb the Jura hills having swum over the Corryvreckan whirlpool :wink:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:13 pm

You total nutter :D Brilliant as always.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby linco9664 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:13 pm

what a superb adventure.. we are going u this weekend to do the walk on the south side of the loch as we done the ones on the north side last year which was great... inspirational this is!! thanks Colin
linco9664
Munro compleatist

Munros:161   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:8

Postby bigkeith » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:21 pm

Outstanding :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: . Creative, bold, doing it your way :clap: :clap: . Also, hats-off to your Dad for being so supportive. Hero :clap: :clap: .
bigkeith
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:17

26 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland