walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lowther Hills, Southern Uplands

Lowther Hills, Southern Uplands

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:26 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Green Lowther

Donalds included on this walk: Dun Law, East Mount Lowther, Green Lowther, Lowther Hill

Date walked: 12/08/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

Ascent: 1000m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set out from Wanlockhead initially with the intention of going no further than the summit of Green Lowther. Followed the Southern Uplands Way markers until it was possible to contour around to East Mount Lowther (Auchenlone Hill). From the summit I then dropped down to the col between it and Lowther Hill and then on over Green Trough to Green Lowther summit.
Given that the weather was perfect and that I had plenty of time, I then decided to walk on over Peden Head and Dun Law to take in the summit of White Law(not indicated on the attached map). It’s quite a stiff drop down and then a good climb up, both of which have to be reversed to return to Green Lowther and Lowther Hill before returning down the Southern Uplands way to the starting point. This made harder work of it than I suspect would have been the case if I’d set out from Overfingland. Cold Moss and Lousie Wood Law could also then have been taken in on a circular walk of about 22.5 km /1180m, although this might well take longer and is a little further with more ascent/descent.
My “out and back” walk was about 19.5 Kms (11 miles) and took 5 hours.
Weather warm with a gentle breeze.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by jonathan - norfolk on Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Re: Lowther Hills, Southern Uplands

Postby Graeme D » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:57 pm

Nice walk. Did these on a fine winter day back in January.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland