walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Crib Goch

Crib Goch

Postby andy63 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:13 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Crib Goch

Date walked: 12/08/2015

Time taken: 5.7

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 945m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Ever since I started bagging Hewitts the one I was most worried about was Crib Goch, a 3000 foot high 'knife edge' ridge with vertical drops on each side. I decided to get some experience on other hills before taking it on, but by this year I was running out of excuses to delay it.
I tried it a couple of months ago and got about half way up before chickening out and going back down again.

Anyway, this was one of the few days this year with a perfect weather forecast, (winds 0-10mph, rain very unlikely) so it was time to have another go.So I parked the car in Llanberis, caught the bus to Pen-y-Pass, and set off along the Pyg Track.

002 (640x480).jpg
Pyg track

003 (640x480).jpg
Crib Goch

The Crib Goch route, which turns off to the right, starts off as a good path, then gets steep and scrambly before reaching the 'bad step', a near-vertical climb of about 15 feet.
This was where I'd got to the first time before turning back. It's particularly scary because it's easier to climb up than down, so once you've climbed that you're committed to doing the whole thing.
However, I didn't want to end up having climbed all the Hewitts but one, so up I went. There was one slightly awkward move where I couldn't find a foothold and had to use a knee to get up, and after that it got easier, although it was steep and rocky all the way up.

005 (640x480).jpg
One of the easier bits of the ascent

And then there's the ridge.

006 (640x480).jpg
The ridge

This was a bit scary at first, but after I stopped panicking it wasn't too difficult. I managed to walk along the top of the ridge for part of the way, but mostly I did it by crawling along sideways like a crab.

007 (640x480).jpg
Crib Goch summit

The pinnacles at the end of the ridge weren't as difficult as I'd been expecting.I'd seen some pictures which made them look terrifying, but it turned out to be a straightforward scramble, and I was soon heading down to the relative safety of Bwlch Coch.

008 (640x480).jpg
descent from pinnacle

009 (640x480).jpg
Looking back at the pinnacle

011 (640x480).jpg
View from Bwlch Goch

I then continued along the ridge towards Crib y Ddysgl. Just before the start of the rocky part of the ridge there's a path going off to the left. i followed this, thinking it might be an easy way up. Unfortunately, the path seemed to disappear after a while, and I eventually decide to just head downhill. A slightly rough descent with a lot of loose stones led me down to join the multitudes returning along the Miners' Track.
I would have preferred to have done Crib y Ddysgl as well, but at the time I was just pleased to have got Wales's scariest mountain out of the way.

010 (640x480).jpg
Crib y Ddysgl

013 (640x480).jpg

014 (640x480).jpg
Not the best way down.

015 (640x480).jpg
Y Lliwedd

016 (640x480).jpg
Miners track

018 (640x480).jpg
Crib Goch and Snowdon from Llyn Teyrn
andy63

Munros:60   Corbetts:6
Grahams:7   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Crib Goch

Postby ChrisW » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:35 am

Well done Andy, you did right turning back on that first attempt.....look at the weather you got as a reward for returning, good stuff mate and fine photos to maintain your memories :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland