walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

6 weeks holiday 3 Peak challenge - "Little and Large"

6 weeks holiday 3 Peak challenge - "Little and Large"

Postby chinksster » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:12 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 21/08/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 13.25 km

Ascent: 865m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday 21 August 2015 was the start of our final leg of our 6 weeks holiday challenge. We left the midlands at 2.20 am to arrive at Loch Lomond for breakfast at the Inveruglas cafe. Fortunately we arrived before the coach loads, just as the toliets opened at 9.45 am. Unfortunately we arrived with the rain! :(

I had the :crazy: idea of my children's and wife's first Munro's as being little and large! So Ben Vane would be a good warm up for The Ben and give my little ones some scrambling opportunity as there is little of this on the Pony Trail.

Ben Vane is certainly the smallest but you would not think this once you've climbed it!

The cafe and toilets are definitely a good feature to make this an ideal starting point. The kids loved the Scottish Porridge and I quite liked the Bacon roll!

We did not really want to walk in the rain today so we held off for as long as possible. All the forecasts were for the weather to improve and then close in early evening. so we got the waterproofs on again and set off. Crossing over the A82 and walking along the path past the Hydroelectric pumping station and onto the well padlocked gates.
Inveruglas Water

We then continued along the path/access road past the great big grey building, substation I think. You then come to a split in the track make sure you go right here which heads towards the valley between Lag Dubh and Ben Vane. Shortly the junction in the track will be found. You take the lefthand track to go across the bridge.

The next photo shows the substation in the distance and an area where lots of tree felling has taken pace.

Walking along this track you can enter the slopes of Ben Vane anywhere. The track actually enter near a stream with a stone wall however it is rather boggy. We decided to work further round and pick the driest route we could onto the SE shoulder of Ben Vane.

Looking toward the forest, you do quickly gain height and the ground starts to dry out.

A' Chrios I think

The wife taking a rest

Not far from the track now...

Loch Lomand, Loch Arket and Ben Lomond panorama

Looking back down the shoulder you can see the actual route up. We did take it down but it was very boggy.

Up we go and kids discussing route options. The path now zig zags its way up with lots of options plus plenty of scrambling on offer. :D

Loch Sloy and the dam

Unfortunately we had to leave our middle daughter and wife sitting in the sun looking at Loch Sloy. The little one, 6 years old and the big one 10 years old continued with me to the top.

A false top

Not more!

The final push

Bode fealing on top of the world (915m)
Summit selfie!

Ben Ime from the summit of Ben Vane

A quick panorama at the plateau. We couldn't stay long due to the weather and needing to get the group back together.

https://youtu.be/4QeFRsvZCFU

We started our descent...

The above picture show our route up, it was quite tricky with the little ones but they managed it with a little push from me. At this point the actual route goes to the right from this point across some orange/red rock. We came down the safer route but I thought the picture might help fellow WH walkers pick the route of their choice.

The wife and my middle daughter had started the descent just as we were leaving the summit, we soon caught them up!

We opted to take the path all the way down to see how boggy it really was!

Goodbye Ben Vane, you were certainly a good warmer up er! Little in Munro standards but full of character and challenge. Thank you.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

chinksster
Munro compleatist

Munros:10   
Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:3   

Re: 6 weeks holiday 3 Peak challenge - "Little and Large"

Postby mash tun » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:44 pm

Well done the kids (and the Mrs) :thumbup:

Might be the smallest Munro but definitely not the easiest !
mash tun

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland