walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

May Munro Madness Part 1

May Munro Madness Part 1

Postby shivy88 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:57 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 23/05/2015

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

May Munro Madness!
Part 1 - West

Back in the office on the Tuesday and everyone was asking was, ‘So what did you get up to on your holiday weekend?’ Thankfully, a semi-exhausted smile and reply of ‘I was out walking again’ was enough for my colleagues because thinking about it made me tired! Same goes for the walk report, but after the fun of another big weekend it seemed a shame to miss this one out! :D

1-glencoe.jpg
The best road in Scotland?

This one started meeting Laura and Vanessa early off the train from Edinburgh, heading off to pick up a friend in Crianlarich and meet another at Altnafeadh for our first target of the weekend Buachaille Etive Mor. The wind was low, the day started under beautiful blue skies, and the layby was as busy as you would expect for a weekend in May with good weather 8) . There was still a fair amount of snow visible at the top of Coire na Tulaich, enough to shove the ice axes on our packs though many did without – last weekend in May and they were still needed, and not for the last time that weekend! :crazy:

2-start.jpg
Buachaille Etive Mor in the sun. If only it lasted!

3- Coire na Tulaich.jpg
Coire na Tulaich

We walked past the Lagangarbh hut which I have particularly good memories of from a beautifully sunny Easter weekend last year. It was straightforward but steeply up Coire na Tulaich, pausing to admire the views (and breath!), every so often. Not long after pulling over the top of the corrie (ice axes out!) we were on the summit of Stob Dearg. By this point the clouds had filled in and the sky was dull but the views were not! The camera does a pretty poor job of capturing the colours.

4- bird summit 1.jpg
Company at the summit of Stob Dearg

5-summit1.jpg
Me at the first summit of the weekend

6-bob summit 1.jpg
Bob taking a look over the edge

The wee Buachaille, the Bidean, and the Anoach Eagach are some of my favourites (along with about 80 others at the moment!) and I love seeing them any day, in any weather :D . In good visibility the route to Stob na Broige was obvious and we happily wondered along noting our descent route on the way past – nice and steep! The walk along the ridge was really enjoyable and the time passed quickly with chat. I wish I could say the same for the descent but it always seems to take longer than I would like regardless of how good the chat is!

7-summit2.jpg
Pic from summit of Stob na Broige

It was just a short walk back along the A82 to the cars at the Altnafeadh. Then we were off to the Red Squirrel to set up camp for the night, and to the Clachaig for dinner and an undefined number of drinks! By this time the rain had started and the forecast was for it to continue all Sunday and for the wind to pick up significantly as well. This scuppered our plans to do Nevis via the CMD on Sunday and instead we made plans over drinks to chase the good weather to the Cairngorms. 8) :clap:

To be continued...
shivy88

Munros:207   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland