walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Dubh, Buachaille Etive Beag

Stob Dubh, Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby BethAtTheHug » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:33 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 16/06/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I met up again with Carin to do a hill or two. We had done the Ben together back in snows of March, I felt under pressure (of my own making) to come up with a hill; that wasn't too far away, and would be at least worthy of the effort. I'd been up Stob Coire Raineach on the wee Buachaille in appalling weather last year and fancied there might be some nice views around. Doing the other top Stob Dubh, from the col and out along the ridge appealed to my sense of adventure...

We set off from the usual 'beehive cairn' carpark, the tops were shrouded in cloud, and I quickly discovered that whilst the mind was willing, the energy was non-existent! So it wasn't the most lightening of ascents to the col. I trudged up just putting one foot in front of the other. Rest, then continue a bit longer.

Carin waiting for me.

The new path is such a delight compared to the old eroded boggy mess from before. Even in my state we were making progress. The Meeting of the Three Waters fell far below.

At the col, on the big pink rock, we stopped for a good sit down and I had something to eat to hopefully refuel and get a bit of energy.

Views between the clouds were great.

The Aonach Eagach looked menacing! We felt we were in Mordor!

After a bit we headed up the path to the 902m top... and I was fine. Energy back, cooking on gas! Felt great. Weird!

At the 902m top we looked along the wee ridge... Gulp!

Stob Dubh, with a very tiny person on the top.

The path always looks worse than it really is and we made rapid progress.

Carin didn't like looking back down the ridge.

The wee cairn at the top.

Hurrah!

So having put all that effort into getting there we wandered about for a bit, took more photos, looked about.

Carin took one of me with my camera, just for the record.

After a shaky start what a fabtastic day!
BethAtTheHug
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Stob Dubh, Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:21 pm

Hi great pics - I often flag at the start of a walk but the energy seems to come from somewhere mid-way - eating defo helps though, especially choccie :D

Stob Dubh does look a bit 'exciting' doesn't it but I too found it fine when I went and did it... in fact, I found it easier than the Raineach end!
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland