walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stuchd an Lochain

Stuchd an Lochain

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:42 pm

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 29/08/2015

Time taken: 4.43 hours

Distance: 10.17 km

Ascent: 822m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Stuchd an Lochain.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Once again I find myself heading over the Lochan na Lairige pass towards Loch an Daimh :roll:
I really should have done both Meall Buidhe and Stuchd an Lochain at the same time, but setting off late at this time of year means running out of light.
Not that either of these walks would be an issue in the dark with some care and a head torch. To be honest both evenings, nights on the days I went were moonlit as well, so to finish in the dark would have been atmospheric 8)

Anyway that didn't happen, so here I am in the rain :(
It is pelting it down; the forecast was for prolonged rain in between sunny spells :roll:

Five minutes earlier it had been clear and I'd watched a couple of Ravens shortly before the parking area. I got out and took some photos, but to far away for anything pleasing. I did hear one of them; not sure what you call the call, but it sounded impressive.
Got to the parking area and it is heaving, during the week I was the only car here. Found a spot to park and started to get changed when the rain started.
Mmm :?: I sat in the car with my boots on waiting for a break to put the waterproofs on and go for it. I don't mind the rain; to be honest I actually find it amusing providing I have the waterproofs on and good leather waterproof boots.
I read some of my book on the phone while waiting my chance. Quite a few walkers were returning. All looked wet, but all looked happy enough :)

Finally the rain eased up enough and I got sorted out asap and start along the road and up by the dam.

and onto the track for a very short distance before reaching the cairn which marks the start of the path

As you can see it is pelting it down again :lol:

After a very short steep start the path traverses along gently above the modern boat house

A view back down to the dam as the rain gives way to sunshine and I know that with the waterproof over trousers on I will soon be cooking

The traverse crosses a few torrential streams as well, it's like the mountains are pouring themselves into the Loch, this side and the other; wonder how long it takes before the overflow on the dam is reached, that would be a sight to see 8)

Shortly after the path heads upwards with the first ridge appearing

I say path, but as you can see it is a stream with a rocky bed at this stage :lol:
With waterproof boots it's fine though :wink:

There's some squidgy bits on the path as it flattens and turns more from a stream full of rocks to a grassy incline, but it's only for a few metres and is surface water, pick your spots and it's fine

It dries up and turns into a good path on the ridge and up to the top of Creag an Fheadain is good fun, this looking back, difficult to take photos into the rain which is now back on :roll:

Looking at google earth and the OS maps does help with a mental picture, but generally I find the reality always looks quite a bit different from what I imagine.
I briefly saw a Raven here as well, but only a fleeting glimpse.

I'd taken off the waterproof trousers, but now the rain is so heavy it has soaked the trousers and is starting to run down behind the gaiters and I know that unless I put them back on again the wet would soon start to get into my boots and that will not improve my humour :lol:

Made my way up to Sron Chona Choirein and I am pretty sure these are the cairns on the top of this part of the ridge :?:
As you can see though it was all a bit of a blur at this point :!:

Out of the gloom I thought I could just about see Lochan nan Cat

Needless to say soon after putting my waterproofs back on the rains started to ease :roll:
There was a breeze though and they can stay on.

A first view of Stuchd an Lochain and there are a couple of Ravens funning themselves in the breeze and updrafts around the summit 8)

The Ravens were flying down every so often and I waited hoping to get a good shot. One flew right over the top of me :D
Fantastic, though not a great photo in the still flat light, at a distance and on movement camera mode

On up to the summit, the clag coming and going, mostly coming at this stage, though did get some blue sky at the top

A look into Lochan nan Cat

I mooched around on top for a while, hoping for the scenic vistas of the Lyon dam and reservoir, the Lawers, Tarmachan ranges, the head of Loch an Daimh and the other mountains, but sais la vie :!:
Lyon dam just about visible in the centre of this photo

Oh well might as well head back down :roll:

Got to Sron Chona Choirein and it started to brighten again

so I decided to stroll further down along Creag an Fheadain for a better look into Loch nan Cat

and along Loch Daimh

There may be a route all the way around the Loch, but I would think it would be very squidgy up at the top

and a bit hard going around the shore. I looked to see if there was a path, but as per Google Earth the only track I could see ends before the plantation at Coire Chorse

Views from here into Coire Pharlain, with what looks like numerous stream erodes making an interesting pattern, Meall Buidhe in the background to the right, or at least the ridge towards it

Continuing back down and a better view of the path and Glen Lyon beyond

and the traverse back

over the streams still pouring themselves into the Loch

and met a very small frog in the path stream on the final squidgy decent, can you spot it :?:

Perhaps there are so many Ravens this years because it has been so wet and the frogs have also done well :?:

Back to the car and changed. There was another car with a tent pitched next to it a short distance from the parking space at the top.

It turned into another very bright moonlit evening, but by now the camera battery had packed in :( and although phone cameras are getting better they have their limitations; just saying :roll:
On the way up to Lochan na Lairige some deer decided to cross the road right in front of me, perhaps fifteen metres, excellent 8) I took a few photos with the phone camera, but as above :(

Anyway a very pleasant drenching on an entertaining walk with some great views in between the rain and clag :D

Enjoy :wink:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Stuchd an Lochain

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:54 pm

Yep that pic in the car summed it up. Good hill this one in winter :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:58 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Yep that pic in the car summed it up. Good hill this one in winter :D

Yes I was thinking while doing them that perhaps I should have scheduled them as tame introductions to the ice axe and crampons or if we get lots of snow a wee ski tour as they start high up :D
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:14 pm

Yep definitely good winter ones, high start and relatively short to allow for whatever the conditions, snow builds up a fair depth on the slope off Stuchd, with some impressive depth in the burn gulleys, seen well when its thawing with snow bridges etc :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:26 pm

You didn't waste much time in getting back then!!

At least you got the odd break in the clouds and saw some of the views that are on offer from this hill.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:21 pm

Gordie12 wrote:You didn't waste much time in getting back then!!

At least you got the odd break in the clouds and saw some of the views that are on offer from this hill.

To be honest I had a reasonable amount of fun :D though as you imply and I concede some awesome views would definitely have improved the experience.
Having had a look at the track round the Lyon Reservoir on Google Earth, I am now looking forward to some more exploration around the area as per cycle round and try to do:
Beinn Heasgarnich
all as single, the track looks as though it goes quite a long way in, and definitely think this one is a possible bike hike, would be a nice bike ride even if it looks like a no go once I get there.
Beinn Mhanach
Creag Mhor
as a double bike hike, though some more researching required.
Either way biking round the Lyon Reservoir would be enjoyable.

I've done most of the surrounding Munro mountains, and I'm finding it interesting to be in a landscape where I can pick out a few of the landmarks.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:48 pm

ancancha wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:You didn't waste much time in getting back then!!

To be honest I had a reasonable amount of fun :D though as you imply and I concede some awesome views would definitely have improved the experience.
Having had a look at the track round the Lyon Reservoir on Google Earth, I am now looking forward to some more exploration around the area as per cycle round and try to do:
Beinn Heasgarnich
all as single, the track looks as though it goes quite a long way in, and definitely think this one is a possible bike hike, would be a nice bike ride even if it looks like a no go once I get there.
Beinn Mhanach
Creag Mhor
as a double bike hike, though some more researching required.
Either way biking round the Lyon Reservoir would be enjoyable.

I've done most of the surrounding Munro mountains, and I'm finding it interesting to be in a landscape where I can pick out a few of the landmarks.

I know what you mean about familiar surroundings.

When I was on Buachaille Etive More recently (on a fantastic day for visibility) it was a bit over powering to see hills in every direction and I probably recognised less than 5% of them then I head in to the Cairngorms and while I haven't climbed all of them, I have done the vast majority and there is something quite comforting knowing your surroundings (especially if the clag sets in).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby ancancha » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:06 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Yep definitely good winter ones, high start and relatively short to allow for whatever the conditions, snow builds up a fair depth on the slope off Stuchd, with some impressive depth in the burn gulleys, seen well when its thawing with snow bridges etc :D

Thanks for this spiderwebb, sounds like you've been up a few times :?:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby katyhills » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:31 pm

Shame you didn't have better weather - it's a lovely hill. Last time I was there - mid April - it looked like this

katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby ancancha » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:24 am

katyhills wrote:Shame you didn't have better weather - it's a lovely hill. Last time I was there - mid April - it looked like this

Very crisp and beautiful Katy, I can see why it is a favorite with you :wink:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:33 pm

Did this hill in June 1997 to celebrate my son's 21st. To vary the descent we went straight down to the lochan (where we saw a hind with new born calf) and back by the loch side which was rough underfoot and took longer than we thought it would. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland