walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lair of the Weasel

Lair of the Weasel

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:48 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Airigh Charr, Beinn Lair

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Mheinnidh

Date walked: 29/08/2015

Time taken: 16.25 hours

Distance: 48.1 km

Ascent: 2866m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This weekend marks the third anniversary of our hillwalking adventures. At the start of the last week in August 2012 I had done a lifetime total of six Munros and Allison was much the same. 3 years on and it's 410 Munros, 212 Munro Tops and 220 Corbetts, having covered 6250km. And God knows how many road miles to get them done. i can't imagine life being any other way. This weekend was going to be one of the last where there's a bit of light in the evenings to do a walk in after driving up - it's noticeable now how the sun is fading earlier. Beinn Airidh Charr and Beinn Lair were a wheen of miles away from home and a good long walk in from Incheril, sitting around the 50km mark. I'd decided to pinch and amend Rockhopper's route from when he compleated on Slioch, reserving the options of a high camp on Beinn Lair if the weather was amenable and a swither about the return route from Beinn Lair. Managed to get away from work before 3 on Friday and was delighted to turn into the empty car park at Incheril for 7.30 - an hour before I thought I'd get there. That meant we had around an hour's light left to walk in.

ImageP1090846 by Al, on Flickr

Shouldering the big packs we headed off into the evening light. The drizzle began as soon as we got into the fields and kept on/off over the wander in. Over on the south side of Loch Maree, Meall a'Ghiubhais, where we'd stood 3 weeks ago - caught the eye, but as we marched along the Kinlochewe River it was Slioch up ahead that dominated. I'd intended to pitch in the wee bay Camus an Trusdair, but it proved wetter and rockier than I'd remembered, so we ended up pitching beside the bridge over the Abhainn a Fhasaigh, which proved to be home to about a million midges :shock:

ImageP1090849 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1090850 by Al, on Flickr

Friday night was wet but at least Saturday morning started dry, in defiance of the forecasts which foretold heavy rain all day. We followed the track towards Letterewe - boggy in parts, often disappearing into thick bracken. we were not making good time - it took us just over 3 hours to reach Letterewe and that was a mere 15km from the car park. Hmmm - I didn't want to be finishing up late on Sunday afternoon with a long drive back to do. We reached the estate and contniued north on newly bulldozed track towards the Bealach nan Sac. Stopping for lunch on some rocks overlooking the estate buildings we blessed the breeze for keeping the midge at bay.

Back of Slioch
ImageP1090852 by Al, on Flickr

Meall a'Ghiubhais
ImageP1090853 by Al, on Flickr

weather coming in across Loch Maree
ImageP1090856 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1090859 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1090861 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn Airidh Charr
ImageP1090862 by Al, on Flickr

Dandelion meadow
ImageP1090868 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1090870 by Al, on Flickr

The track splits and we took the left path towards the Glac Iain Duibh which wove its way west initially then turned north up Strathan Bhuidhe. i got a bit disorientated - too many lochs - but fortunately Allison realised which mountain we were heading for :lol: Beinn Airidh Charr was on our left - if I'd realised that earlier I'd probably have picked a line up Carnan Maire and followed the high ridge rather than losing height in the glen. Anyhoos we turned up to our left at the Allt a'Choire Reidh and walked into the bowl like coire, leaving our packs by the stream and ascending the remaining 300m unladen. Unfortunately the weather chose just that moment to obscure the top in a band of clag and to raise a biting wind. Plans to visit the other nearby tops (Sims, you know) were abandoned and Airidh Charr, with its shattered trig marker would have to suffice.

Glac Iain Duibh
ImageP1090873 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1090874 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1090877 by Al, on Flickr

Fionn Loch & Meall Mheinnidh
ImageP1090878 by Al, on Flickr

Summit, Airidh Charr
ImageP1090880 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1090881 by Al, on Flickr

We made our way back down to the packs, stopping for some peaty water from the burn then turning our attention to the craggy looking Graham that stood between us and Beinn Lair. We picked out the likeliest line up and finished our descent off Airidh Charr, past crags and waterfalls. The Strathan is 250m in altitude - there were another 522m to achieve to be at the top of the Graham - Meall Mheinnidh "the grassy hill" allegedly - more like the craggy hill from here. it was actually easier than it looked to pick a way between the craggy outcrops and we even found a rudimentary path. Views to the north, across Fionn Loch were increasingly spectacular - steep cliffs fell away to the lochside then the eye was taken over to the Fisherfileds, with An Teallach rising like a jagged jaw in the distance. Beinn a'Chaisgean Mor also caught the eye - one for a weekend soon.

Meall Mheinnidh
ImageP1090883 by Al, on Flickr

Craggy
ImageP1090886 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1090891 by Al, on Flickr

An Teallach in the distance
ImageP1090894 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn Lair on R
ImageP1090896 by Al, on Flickr

Fionn Loch
ImageP1090898 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1090899 by Al, on Flickr

As we got to the summit we could see the sloping back of Beinn Lair to our right, with Slioch rising behind it, an impregnable fortress of rock. What a vista - this is proper mountain country! Descending the softer grassy eastern side of Mheinnidh we got to Bealach Mheinnidh, fortunately quite high at around 500m. It was, by this time, around 5.30 and we had to make a decison about what happened now. The winds being high and the prospect of a cloudless sky being less than unlikely, we decided to camp somewhere around the bealach rather than lug the tent up onto the summit of Beinn Lair. Found a spot to pitch near the tiny lochan at the beginning of the rise up to Lair and had a well earned meal. Then it was off out again, unladen, to reach the top of Beinn Lair. The route took us along the edge of the impressive cliffs. I was startled by a grunt whilst looking over the edge and found I'd disturbed a family of goats, who left their resting places and walked along the ridge of one of the jutting outcrops. Walking on, the eye was drawn inexorably to the jaggy marvels of the Beinn Dearg pair and, behind them, An Teallach. The visibility wasn't brilliant, and it would have been fantastic to sit here on a summer's evening with a red sky behind this lot. Ach well, at least we were seeing them rather than everything being obscured by clouds.

Beinn Lair / Slioch
ImageP1090900 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1090903 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1090904 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1090905 by Al, on Flickr

Slioch
ImageP1090907 by Al, on Flickr

Looking back along slopes of Beinn Lair
ImageP1090913 by Al, on Flickr

Ridgewalking goats
ImageP1090914 by Al, on Flickr

Summit plateau, Beinn Lair
ImageP1090919 by Al, on Flickr

Jagginess all around
ImageP1090920 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1090922 by Al, on Flickr

Slioch
ImageP1090923 by Al, on Flickr

Eerie photo of Allison...
ImageP1090924 by Al, on Flickr

The Weasel in his Lair
ImageP1090927 by Al, on Flickr

The summit cairn on Beinn Lair is huge - easily 10 feet. To the east, Slioch stands proud. To the north, Fisherfield grabs the attention. We drooled for a while then turned around and headed back the way we'd come, stopping to gather some water from a tiny stream near the tent. I had my new Sawyers water filter to try out (excellent purchase as it turned out) so water can be taken from almost anywhere. We retreated to the tent as the rain began - I was thoroughly grateful that the forecasts had been proved largely wrong for today.

ImageP1090931 by Al, on Flickr

letterewe estate
ImageP1090934 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1090936 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1090938 by Al, on Flickr

After a windy, wet night the morning was dry. Up and away by 8.30, we'd chosen to simply return to Letterewe by the track rather than faff about on the southern shores of Lochan Fhada, so the going was predictable. Seemed a bit easier going today, although keds ruined the pleasure of the walk in the first part and midges in the second. Back at the car by 1.30 - earlier than I'd anticipated - and an easy drive down the road. Two more off the list - but what a fabulous part of the country this was.

ImageP1090939 by Al, on Flickr

lair3.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Lair of the Weasel

Postby mgmt! » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:39 am

great effort , especially with camping gear, best of all you did the walk report the same day, it takes me weeks if i ever get round to doing one . whats the plans after the munro tops and corbett completion
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:35 am

mgmt! wrote:great effort , especially with camping gear, best of all you did the walk report the same day, it takes me weeks if i ever get round to doing one . whats the plans after the munro tops and corbett completion

I'd never remember what I did if I didn't write the report straight away :lol:
plans afoot for the Donalds over the winter then make a start on the Grahams in earnest after that
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby mgmt! » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:48 pm

weaselmaster wrote:
mgmt! wrote:great effort , especially with camping gear, best of all you did the walk report the same day, it takes me weeks if i ever get round to doing one . whats the plans after the munro tops and corbett completion

I'd never remember what I did if I didn't write the report straight away :lol:
plans afoot for the Donalds over the winter then make a start on the Grahams in earnest after that

that will take you to easter :roll: , your running out of hills :lol: :lol: :lol:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland