walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lousie Wood Law and Dun Law from Glenochar

Lousie Wood Law and Dun Law from Glenochar

Postby rob munbett » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:18 am

Donalds included on this walk: Dun Law, Lousie Wood Law

Date walked: 30/08/2015

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was good to be out on the hills again after a lengthy enforced time-off due to illness and injury. So, what to do? I thought that a trip to these two Donalds at the east end of the Lowthers would fit the bill. I parked in a good space on the right side of the road (going south) on the A702 at Glenochar. From here a rather neglected track led through chest high soaking vegetation to a rickety bridge across the Glenochar burn to the start of the plod up Coupland Gair.
The attachment P1020815.JPG is no longer available
Soon I reached a broken down wall and a new fence which I followed NW virtually to the summit cairn and trig on Lousie Wood Law.
P1020815.JPG
Glenochar, Kneesend and Dun Law from Coupland Gair
P1020820.JPG
On Coupland Gair looking up the fenceline to Lousie Wood Law
There was a fair breeze blowing so I sat behind the trig for a quick snack and cup of tea. So far so good. The route over to Dun Law was clear - again, there was a fence line all the way.
P1020821.JPG
The summit of Lousie Wood Law looking over to Dun Law
The OS map showed a dip between LWL and White Law (later discovered to be Little Windgate Hass) but I didn't expect such a steep sided ravine with heather and a scree fan.
P1020824.JPG
Walking over to Dun Law
P1020825.JPG
Little Windgate Hass looking towards White Law
The down and up didn't take long but it did take a bit out of legs that hadn't been out hillwalking for a while! The gentle incline after meant the stroll over to the summit 'cairn' of Dun Law was very pleasant.
P1020830.JPG
Ascending White Hill looking back to Little Windgate Hass
Equally so was the saunter down to Kneesend and it was on the steeper east 'nose' of this that I finally found some rocks to sit on for my lunch. From here I could see Glenochar stretching back to the road and I surveyed the best route out.
P1020833.JPG
Summit of Dun Law looking back to Lousie Wood Law
There was a track of sorts on what looked like the best ground leading from a large sheep enclosure over to my left so I descended NE, crossed the narrow burn and walked out on this track on dry ground as far as the castle ruin.
P1020843.JPG
From here, it was back to the car on the wet circular 'path' marked on the OS map.
P1020846.JPG
My Route
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Lousie Wood Law and Dun Law from Glenochar

Postby SecretSquirrel » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:40 pm

These are a great couple of hills for getting out. Windgate Haas is surprisingly steep, isn't it?

Good to see you recovered from your injury and back on the hills :clap: :clap:
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland