walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Enjoying the Spanish Plume around Forres

Enjoying the Spanish Plume around Forres

Postby railton22 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:59 pm

Route description: Sanquhar Loch and Nelson Tower, Forres

Date walked: 23/08/2015

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 168m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

ANOTHER boiling hot day in Scotland. Being the smart people that we are we don't fall for that flannel about midges and rain all the time, no sirree not us!

Too hot for Munro-ing plus the dog had busted up his paws, so we left him home whilst we did a short walk and this 4mile jolly around the edge of Forres fit the bill nicely.

This walk was a gem. You look at it on WH and go "Nah, boring let's do a Munro" but this walk was top banana. From stunning burns, gorgeous woodland and a pretty loch, there was plenty to see. For a townie walk it felt like anything but.

DSC05641Mossetburn.jpg
Path down to the Mosset burn. Hard to believe this is all pretty much in a town centre

Lucky, lucky Forres Folk having this lot on their doorstep.

DSC05644SanquharLoch.jpg
Sanquahar Loch.

We added an extra mile by going wrong at the beginning. I got carried away and started off uphill and then did a circuit of the hill on which Nelson Tower sits........and so we began again. Properly this time.

Swans and cygnets (little family of four) VERY friendly up at Loch Sanquhar and definitely used to treats from humans.

DSC05650SanquharLoch.jpg
Friendly swans and huuuuuge up close

DSC05647SanquharLoch.jpg
Sanquhar Loch; if I sit here long enough someone might chuck a bit of stale bread at me

DSC05655swan.jpg
Big ol' Papa swan has a quick preen

DSC05656cygnets.jpg
The "teenagers"

Had a picnic n the woods and met a lovely marl Border Collie who threw herself at my feet, dropped her ball and waited for me to throw it. My wimpy girly throw was just enough for the dog, given the Mediterranean temps, any further and the poor dog would have collapsed with heat exhaustion.

Walked by Sarah and David
railton22
Mountaineer

Munros:186   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland