walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgor Mor from Linn of Dee

Sgor Mor from Linn of Dee

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:54 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgòr Mòr

Date walked: 31/08/2015

Time taken: 3.8 hours

Distance: 17.9 km

Ascent: 492m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last day of a fortnight's holiday, depression setting in with the thought of work tomorrow so I was after something fairly close to home and with cloud forecast on the tops another day to drop down to a Corbett. Sgor Mor seemed perfect, a fairly short drive, one of the lower Corbetts and on a good day, great views.

Unusually for me, a bit of forward planning so stopped in Braemar to get the pre walk faff out the way (sort out the rucksack, apply midge stuff, get the walking socks on etc etc) reducing the chances of midge warfare in the Linn of Dee car park on a flat calm morning.

Surprisingly, to begin with things weren't too bad but it was only my blood that was on offer at 7.30am so word spread that breakfast had arrived and before long I bailed out to the parking area for the buses (which is more open).

So, off and running (not quite but not far off it) by 7.30am, overcast, flat calm but no threat of rain. I don't know how many times I have walked to White Bridge, it's always enjoyable but no real surprises in store so just got the head down and covered the distance in 50 minutes.

1.jpg
River Dee

2.jpg
River Dee

3.jpg
Looking back towards Linn of Dee

4.jpg

5.jpg
White Bridge

Just before White Bridge I took the path to the right and continued to follow the Dee into Glen Dee with a quick stop at the Chest of Dee for some photos.

6.jpg
Path after White Bridge

7.jpg
Chest of Dee

8.jpg
Chest of Dee

9.jpg
Chest of Dee

Unfortunately standing still wasn't an option so after a couple of minutes I was forced to move on and continued on the path for a further ten minutes before deciding it was time to leave the path behind and strike off towards Sgor Mor. It doesn't seem to matter too much where the path is left, I probably could have carried on for a further 5 minutes but the gradient seemed OK so off I went.

To be honest, this is no great climb, the gradient is never hard going it's just a constant climb through grass/heather. I crossed an unnamed burn (on my OS map - between Sgor Mor and Carn Mor), the crossing was easy but underfoot conditions worsened.

10.jpg
Sgor Mor appearing

11.jpg
Little waterfall - unnamed burn

12.jpg
Top getting closer

With the wet conditions I found myself trying to walk through the heather rather than the grass as this was the drier route but by doing this I was disturbing the midge population and as I was climbing I was now easier to keep up with and things were getting nasty - still no bloomin breeze :( :( :( Decision taken, stuff the dry feet, take the grassy route where possible and leave the midge in peace. To a degree this worked but my arms were now covered with dead midge and I seemed to spend a fair bit of time trying to get the little buggers out of my ears.

Stopping is definitely not an option so I found myself on the summit 2hrs after leaving the Linn of Dee car park. Coming from this direction there were no views and then all of a sudden on the top the views opened up to the Lairig Ghru, Beinn Bhrotain, The Devil's Point and beyond, Carn a'Mhaim, Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm - even with cloud cover this is a fantastic spot. Sadly, even on the top there is no breeze so 5 minutes was my limit before I put on long sleeves (nothing to do with the temperature) and headed back the way I came.

13.jpg
The Devil's Point with Corrour Bothy just a tiny white dot in the distance

14.jpg
Carn a' Mhaim with Ben Macdui behind

15.jpg
Sgor Mor top

17.jpg
Sgor Mor top looking towards Glen Tilt

18.jpg
One last look at The Devil's Point with just the odd hint of sunlight on the lower slopes

Couldn't care less where I put my feet on the way down, just a case of keeping ahead of the swarm behind me and my pace must have been good as they never caught me :D :D :D

19.jpg
Route down

Got my bearings slightly wrong on the way down, I came out on a path and turned left and followed it for a couple of hundred yards before I realised that it ran parallel with the normal path up the glen but was higher up on the hill so left it and started heather bashing again coming out at the Chest of Dee.

Back on the track at White Bridge it was now safe to stop and grab a sandwich to eat on the move on the good track back to Linn of Dee.

20.jpg
Heading down the glen

21.jpg
Morrone in the distance

Back at the car in under 4hrs, a shorter day out than I expected but for reasons I may have mentioned earlier, not a day for standing around (Garmin showed I was stopped for 11 minutes in total).

This is an easy hill with fantastic views and would probably be one to do later in the year as the views would be brilliant with some snow around. It's also a good walk in late August, just not on a calm day :( :( :( :(

Taking the Germaline to work with me tomorrow.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Sgor Mor from Linn of Dee

Postby ancancha » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:47 pm

Nice one Gordie :clap:
Nice photos of the Chests of Dee :clap:
No be long now before the midges are history as a cold North wind is on the way :roll:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:55 pm

I liked this hill, some fabulous views from the summit makes the long walk in very worthwhile, like you I returned roughly the same route, fed up walking in mud and rain soaked ground and long undergrowth, get back to paths as soon as possible :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:21 pm

This one still on "to-do" list - a bit awkward to get to from Inverness side. We have to watch our finances, so it will probably stay on hold till next year. But we're running out of Munros in the east, so good Corbett walks much appreciated :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby John Hassall » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi Gordie, how're you doing?
Still putting some good miles and hills under your belt and how things keep moving over a 12 month period since we were in the Cairngorms last year. I have been keeping an eye open for your Reports - now well over the aspired to 100 Munros (you will have to update your profile!) And The Pennine Way neatly ticked off as well!!
Been doing some reading of the Secret Howff of Glen Slugain (Beaner001 "A howff and two remote beasts") - unfortunately we missed it when we passed through that way.
Had a bit of a mini epic on a snow plastered summit of Ladhar Bheinn in Knoydart in middle of May - returning to Barrisdale at 10.15 p.m. - but all safe and sound.
You would love it over there - put it on your list - and keep the Reports coming

Keep well.

P.S. Completed The Wainwrights just before Christmas last year!
John Hassall
Rambler

Munros:86   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:57   

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:51 pm

ancancha wrote:Nice one Gordie :clap:
Nice photos of the Chests of Dee :clap:
No be long now before the midges are history as a cold North wind is on the way :roll:

Bring it on................just bring it on!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:54 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:I liked this hill, some fabulous views from the summit makes the long walk in very worthwhile, like you I returned roughly the same route, fed up walking in mud and rain soaked ground and long undergrowth, get back to paths as soon as possible :wink:

Hi Rod - I read your report the night before. I knew you had carried on further up the glen (past the burn) before heading in to the heather but the gradient seemed fine so just went for it.

Very easy climb, probably one of the easier Corbetts I've done (not that I've done that many).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:56 pm

BlackPanther wrote:This one still on "to-do" list - a bit awkward to get to from Inverness side. We have to watch our finances, so it will probably stay on hold till next year. But we're running out of Munros in the east, so good Corbett walks much appreciated :D

Hi BP - it's a lot closer than some of the hills you have been doing recently. I'm in the same boat, just got the Devil's Point toBraeriach to go in the Gorms so it feels like west for Munros and east for Corbetts just now.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:03 pm

John Hassall wrote:Hi Gordie, how're you doing?
Still putting some good miles and hills under your belt and how things keep moving over a 12 month period since we were in the Cairngorms last year. I have been keeping an eye open for your Reports - now well over the aspired to 100 Munros (you will have to update your profile!) And The Pennine Way neatly ticked off as well!!
Been doing some reading of the Secret Howff of Glen Slugain (Beaner001 "A howff and two remote beasts") - unfortunately we missed it when we passed through that way.
Had a bit of a mini epic on a snow plastered summit of Ladhar Bheinn in Knoydart in middle of May - returning to Barrisdale at 10.15 p.m. - but all safe and sound.
You would love it over there - put it on your list - and keep the Reports coming

Keep well.

Hi John - good to hear from you and I hope you are well - this walk was a bit shorter than our walk a year ago!!!

Knoydart is the great unknown for me - maybe next year.............

As you have completed the Wainwrights ( :clap: :clap: :clap: ) I may tap you for some info in the future as I'm looking to get down that way soon.

PS near where Beaner spotted the Howff we saw an adder, after that I was just focusing on where I put my feet :shock:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:10 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
John Hassall wrote:Hi Gordie, how're you doing?

Keep well.

Hi John - good to hear from you and I hope you are well - this walk was a bit shorter than our walk a year ago!!!

Knoydart is the great unknown for me - maybe next year.............

As you have completed the Wainwrights ( :clap: :clap: :clap: ) I may tap you for some info in the future as I'm looking to get down that way soon.

PS near where Beaner spotted the Howff we saw an adder, after that I was just focusing on where I put my feet :shock:

PPS - profile now updated - thank you!
Gordie12
Wanderer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland