walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Dubh Mor, journeys end at 281

Sgurr Dubh Mor, journeys end at 281

by spiderwebb » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:44 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Dubh Mòr

Date walked: 05/09/2015

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Sgurr Dubh Mor, journeys end

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:58 am

The introduction brought a tear to my eye. Beautifully written, you summed it up perfectly. A journey we don't know we've started. I'm certain that we get more out of being on the journey than from arriving at the destination. Great stuff, keep on walking.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby 2manyYorkies » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:31 pm

Ditto, lump in throat, was listeingin to Big Country as I read that, just for a spot of atmosphere.
Many, many congratulations. :clap: :clap:

Now get off and get yourself that Lilo you've been dreaming about.... :lol: :lol:
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:04 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Brilliant report spiderwebb - so many emotions :( :o :D :? :shock:

At the end of it all, I'm left with one question - you can still buy Curly Wurlys??????????????????

You certainly can Gordie12 although you'll probably think they have shrunk over the years :D

Beaner001 wrote:A lump in my throat too reading that Dave :clap:
Lovely read that completely sums up life, we can only but play the cards we are dealt, sometimes we gamble and lose and sometimes we go with the dead Certs and end up wishing we'd gambled :wink: At least you can now move into the next chapter of the life of Spiderwebb - mountains and all :D
All the best my friend

Thanks Matthew, a lump in mine reading all these words :(

electricfly wrote:Fancy a traverse? :D :lol: :D

We shall have to compile a list of favourite days to revisit. :D

In the meantime, congratulations on almost spinning the unspinnable web... :wink:

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://youtu.be/vtnhmy_KcgM</span>

That the very song Eric, welling up :( I already have a list to revisit :wink:

wilkiemurray wrote:congratulations on the compleat SW :clap:

Great place to finish and amazing pictures.

and a fine piece of writing and reflection, got me thinking and remembering too....

No compleation Wilkiemurray, maybe should have chose a different title, one remains.

BobMcBob wrote:The introduction brought a tear to my eye. Beautifully written, you summed it up perfectly. A journey we don't know we've started. I'm certain that we get more out of being on the journey than from arriving at the destination. Great stuff, keep on walking.

Thank you for your kind words, BobMcBob, very much appreciated :D

2manyYorkies wrote:Ditto, lump in throat, was listeingin to Big Country as I read that, just for a spot of atmosphere.
Many, many congratulations. :clap: :clap:

Now get off and get yourself that Lilo you've been dreaming about.... :lol: :lol:

Music can stir the soul 2manyYorkies, even better if they're played to you :D Reminds me I haven't been to a Karaoke for a bit and I've been told I can do a good tune :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: Sgurr Dubh Mor, journeys end at 281

Postby Moriarty » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:10 pm

Nice looking day on the Cuillin. :D

The bagging thing seems to capture some folk deep down. I'm sure it has its upsides, but to me your report brings out more in the way of downsides.

I'll just wait to be glum when I can't climb hills no more.....in the meantime it's happy time. :wink:
Moriarty

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:42 pm

Just beautiful. Great writing Dave and a great pics of what looked a stunning day :D
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:18 pm

Like everyone else says Dave, superbly written and pleased to hear someone started walking before me :lol:

That was hardly an easy ending to your journey, not sure I could manage SDM on my own :wink: I remember the walk rather well, especially some of the scrambling & the looking down on the Loch :roll:

What now?
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Graeme D » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:46 pm

Great prose Dave and a wonderful reflection on two great journeys that all of us here are on - the journey through life and the journey through the mountains. In both cases it is the journey that is important, not the destination. Well done and thanks again for sharing that with us! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:40 am

Moriarty wrote:Nice looking day on the Cuillin. :D

The bagging thing seems to capture some folk deep down. I'm sure it has its upsides, but to me your report brings out more in the way of downsides.

I'll just wait to be glum when I can't climb hills no more.....in the meantime it's happy time. :wink:

It can sure affect you that way, especially over so many years :D

jupe1407 wrote:Just beautiful. Great writing Dave and a great pics of what looked a stunning day :D

thank you Jupe, it was a good day :D

Fife Flyer wrote:Like everyone else says Dave, superbly written and pleased to hear someone started walking before me :lol:

That was hardly an easy ending to your journey, not sure I could manage SDM on my own :wink: I remember the walk rather well, especially some of the scrambling & the looking down on the Loch :roll:

What now?

Thank you FF, I'm still searching for someone who started before me. Wasn't the easiest, but have managed all the Skye ones without assistance bar one and would return there now without help too :D

Graeme D wrote:Great prose Dave and a wonderful reflection on two great journeys that all of us here are on - the journey through life and the journey through the mountains. In both cases it is the journey that is important, not the destination. Well done and thanks again for sharing that with us! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you Graeme, yes indeed the journey, although the destination can move, the mountains remain :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Borderhugh » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:39 pm

Well done Dave! Enjoyed reading your report with the sentimentality. You older guys keep me in check :clap: ! Congratulations, on almost compleating! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:100   Islands:23

Postby scottishkennyg » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:03 pm

Well done Dave..another door opening.. :clap:
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:32 pm

A great read, and obviously an emotional moment, as it should be. So many memories. Congratulations.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:51 pm

Well put Dave. You look really happy in that last picture :(
Maybe a new 'at for your compleation when it comes will cheer you up
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dav2930 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:13 pm

A beautifully elegiac reflection on life and loss and coming to the end of things. Thought provoking and heart-rending, it reminds us all how much we take for granted. There is something admirable about your reluctance to tick off that one remaining Munro. Good luck for the future SW.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Sick Kid » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:40 pm

A wee tear (or 2) in my eye there Spider.....great report and sums up well how a lot of us feel on the hill.

And you've a belter of a hill to compleat on, that's what we finished on....just hope you get better weather than us :D
Sick Kid
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:364   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:13   

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:55 pm

A fine piece of prose there, SW - more of a soliloquy than a report really; and none the worse for that. And some great pictures.

But: be wistful, but not melancholic! You've visited so many fine places - I remember really vividly your Fisherfields report - that I can't believe there aren't many many of them you'd want to visit again. After all, the Munros thing is only one of the many excuses we manufacture as reasons for getting into these wonderful spots.

For me, the Nr 1 is the Cuillins, and your pics brought it all back to life - the first time I went there, I camped next to the lochan in Choire a' Ghrundda, the next time I bivvied on Sgurr nan Eag. I'm quite sure I'll go back many times, and I can't imagine a time when it will pall. Some of these mountains are so immense and intense that it seems (at least to me) to take multiple exposures before one really feels one "knows" them.

Keep walkin' and reportin' !!!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

43 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland