walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bidean Nam Biam

Bidean Nam Biam

Postby SecretSquirrel » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:50 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 05/09/2015

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 11.35 km

Ascent: 1312m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

BideanNamBiam.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A perfect day! I was parked up early to claim a space, suited & booted for 7:30am and the skies were already perfectly clear blue. I followed the book route of WH and enjoyed the mild boulder hop/scramble up to the summit of Stob Coire nan Lochan. From there on it was a cracking walk following the connecting 'ridges' between the tops. On such a clear day the views were simply stunning, I could have stayed up there all day. I had been a little aprehensive about the loose descent from Bealach Dearg, and it was initially steep and loose, but thankfully straightforward and I quickly reached the path out.

When I got back to the car park and saw the hordes of tourists parked, I was glad I had been there early! The car park took a bit of navigation but I soon squeezed my out and was back on the A82, reflecting on my day with a big grin :D

The route up Coire nan Lochan between Gearr Aonach (left) and Aonach Dubh (right). Heading for Stob Coire nan Lochan peaking thru in the middle.

Looking back to the the A82 and across to Am Bodach.

The Pinnacle Buttresses of Stob Coire nan Lochan.

Zoomed to the buttresses.

View of the Aonach Eagach and beyond to Ben Nevis.

Ballachulish and Loch Leven.

Scree gully down the butresses.

Another sharp steep gully ...

First glimpse of Bidean ... no access from here, need to get up onto the connecting ridge first!

View east from the summit of Stob Coire nan Lochan.

Bidean Nam Biam looking like a very steep ascent!

First glimpse of the days second target ... Stob Coire Sgreamhach.

Bidean Nam Biam summit cairn.

Looking back to Stob Coire nan Lochan.

View over Beinn Maol Chalium to Loch Etive with Ben Starav in the centre and the Cruachan ridge behind.

Looking ahead to Stob Coire Sgreamhach.

Stob Coire Sgreamhach.

Coire Gabhail and the Lost Valley.

The summit cairn of Stob Sgreamhach with Bidean in the background.

Bidean Nam Biam looking splendid from this angle.

Summit view from Stob Sgreamhach, looking down the Lost Valley and across to Am Bodach.

Buachaille Etive Beag with Etive Mor behind and the non-munro peak of Stob na Doire in the middle of the ridge.

Aonach Eagach with Ben Nevis, centre rear, capped with cloud.

The loose red ash descent from Bealach Dearg.

Looking back at the descent route into Coire Gabhail.

The last leg of the journey, returning to a now much busier car park!

Bidean Nam Biam Photo Album
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Re: Bidean Nam Biam

Postby SecretSquirrel » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:28 pm

Fix to the photograph links in the post. Thanks to litljortindan or I probably wouldn't have noticed the problem!
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Postby ancancha » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:23 pm

Loved the Raven photos in your link 8)
Glad you got a really nice day for this one, I found the terrain fascinating :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:43 pm

Fabulous set of pics there, on what was a truly magnificent day.

BTW I was taking a pic of Bidean as you were taking one of the Ben group; I waved at you from CMD, but you didn't wave back... :)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby simon-b » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:47 pm

Great pictures, SecretSquirrel. The descent from Bealach Dearg might have been loose, but at least the snow's gone at last.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby SecretSquirrel » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:37 pm

ancancha wrote:Loved the Raven photos in your link 8)
Glad you got a really nice day for this one, I found the terrain fascinating :clap:

Thanks Ancancha! I agree the land around the glens and hills is fantastic there. Very prehistoric looking :) The ravens didn't seem to mind me being there, and I probably could have gotten much closer pictures if I hadn't clattered my walking pole of the rocks :crazy: :lol:

Alteknacker wrote:Fabulous set of pics there, on what was a truly magnificent day.

BTW I was taking a pic of Bidean as you were taking one of the Ben group; I waved at you from CMD, but you didn't wave back... :)

Cheers Altenacker! In my defence ... my eyesight probably isn't sharp enough to have seen you on CMD :lol:
*waves :clap:

simon-b wrote:Great pictures, SecretSquirrel. The descent from Bealach Dearg might have been loose, but at least the snow's gone at last.

Thanks Simon! Yes, the descent is completely snow free now. Your reverse snow descent in June sounded like a lot of hard work! Thankfully all I had to contend with was not slipping and land on my pride :lol:
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Postby litljortindan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:45 pm

A great day and hill for the camera.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland