walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

ardnamurchan lighthouse -LOVELY VIEWS

ardnamurchan lighthouse -LOVELY VIEWS

Postby blueyed » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:11 pm

Route description: Ardnamurchan Point and Bay MacNeil, Portuairk

Date walked: 27/06/2010

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 1 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ardnamurchan Point is a great destination, might be included in a longer walk, as it is suggested here on website. I did it on it's own, but I would recommend to have few walk ideas in the area because the Point itself is not that interesting. Maybe it's just me, but i would say it's not worth to drive so many miles on single track rds just to see that. Especially that exploring the Point itself takes maybe 1.5hrs.. As i said, i just drove there and afterwards i explored sanna bay (from portuairk) which made the long journey worth doing.
i definitely recommend climbing to the top of the lighthouse, the only reason is the view to lovely sandy beaches around and to islands: muck, eigg, rhum... if you're lucky you'll see cuillins on skye too. admission is £5 (lighthouse and exhibition centre, tickets available in visitor centre). there is a guy waiting on the top, ready to answer all your questions about the point and the lighthouse (remember heath ledger in 'brokeback mountain'? the guy speaks with the same accent).
so, again, it's worth seeing if you're around.
Attachments
ardnamurchan point (7).jpg
welcome to ardnamurchan point
ardnamurchan point (6).jpg
nice drive
ardnamurchan point (5).jpg
isles from top of the lighthouse
ardnamurchan point (4).jpg
ardnamurchan point (3).jpg
ardnamurchan point (2).jpg
ardnamurchan point (1).jpg
ardnamurchan point.jpg
oh, that's me :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland