walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochaber Sunny Subs part 1

Lochaber Sunny Subs part 1

Postby Julie » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:33 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bidein Bad na h-Iolaire

Date walked: 08/09/2015

Time taken: 2.25 hours

Distance: 9.07 km

Ascent: 450m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So, I did the Beast Race on Saturday, Stob Ghabhar on Sunday, worked on Monday but Tuesday was a day off and although my legs were black and blue and a bit achy i thought I'd pop over to Fort William and pick off a couple of subs, how hard could that be...
I've made this post into 2 walk reports as I drove between them.
Parked up at the picnic spot at the top of Lundavra road, plenty space here for parking. I'd read that Bidein Bad na h-Iolaire could be done from Glen Nevis via the vitrified fort but that the bracken was awful so I came up with my own route which looked Ok on the map.
Headed back down the road for a bit and picked up the peat track, the remaining mist was clearing rapidly and it was going to be glorious as predicted. I'd forgotten my camera so the photos aren't much as they are from my ancient nokia phone, (so old it still has a keypad! :roll: )
ImageImage420 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
the view of the hill from the car park
Along the peat track until it branches off and I took the Glen Nevis path along to the edge of the forest, all going well, this'll be nice i was thinking....
Decided to follow the fence
ImageImage432 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
Well, there was a bit of a path but the heather was deep, the grass was long, the midgies were out and I had knee length trousers on so my legs were scratched to bits, no matter, onwards and upwards I went, I followed the fence until about 1200ft then headed off up the hill, this was easier, lots of wee hillocks to negotiate, a few small crags to go round and views opening up all the time,
ImageImage424 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
ImageImage425 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
ImageImage426 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
After 1 hr and 10 mins I reached the top
ImageImage430 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
With 'mazing views down to Fort William and across to the Ben and the Mamores and down Loch linnie, what a good spot, Not a soul about although I imagine there were a fair few toiling up the ben
ImageImage429 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
ImageImage431 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
So that was that, down the same way, picked up the fence a bit earlier, used it to keep my footing on the steep bits, caught my finger and bled a bit and jogged back down the peat track to the car for juice and a cheese piece.
so 5.64 miles, 1400 ft ascent and 2hrs 15 mins in total.
So now I drove down the narrow road through Blarmacfoldach to loch lundavra for my next Sub, Doire Ban.....
To be continued in next post....
Julie

Munros:227   Corbetts:63
Fionas:44   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:203   

Re: Lochaber Sunny Subs part 1

Postby kiltedbiggles » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:41 pm

Thanks for the GPS on this one Julie

A somewhat hungover band of Munro Meanderers used your route to get up and down this one without any hassle, despite the sore heads

:D :D :D
kiltedbiggles
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:185
Fionas:110   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:207   Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:23   Islands:42
Walk wish-list

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland