walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochaber Sunny Subs Part 2

Lochaber Sunny Subs Part 2

Postby Julie » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:24 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Doire Ban

Date walked: 08/09/2015

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 5.89 km

Ascent: 402m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Following on from my report Lochaber Sunny Subs part 1 here's the next instalment, still using my ancient phone as a camera so not great quality photos.
I'm not sure how many people go up Doire Ban, especially as a single hill, the obvious way to do it would be to descend over it from the Graham of Tom Meadhoin which would make a lovely round, however i'd been up the graham so I just wanted to complete Doire Ban. it is a nice looking hill and an excellant viewpoint.
A slow drive down the very narrow, winding road through Blarmacfoldach to Loch Lundavra. There is parking for probably 5 cars on the left after the West Highland Way and before the bridge.
ImageImage456 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
Doire Ban.

ImageImage436 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
The car parking area
ImageImage435 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
The bridge
I headed along the road and turned left before the bridge to ford the river, easy enough today but difficult in spate, I found a much easier ford on my return
ImageImage454 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
From here I just walked up the hill, If you like wet pathless grass, this is the hill for you, but to be honest It went fairly easily with stunning views all the way round.
ImageImage437 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
the way up looking back to Bidein Bad na h-lolaire
ImageImage438 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
An hour later I was on the summit
ImageImage439 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
Summit cairn, all 5 stones of it!
Sat for ages , cool breeze, no midgies and 360 degree views
ImageImage440 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
Bidean
ImageImage441 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
a wee peek of Stob ban
ImageImage443 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
back up to Bidein Bad na h-lolaire and towards Fort William
ImageImage444 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
Mullach nan Coirean looking very red and The ben making his own wee clouds
ImageImage447 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
Loch Lundavra and the Glennfinnan hills

I came back down the hill much the same way but near the base I headed for the wee shed on the shore of the loch and picked up a very wet landie track
ImageImage449 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
ImageImage451 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
The wet track and back up to Doire Ban
ImageImage452 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
Loch Lundavra and the graham of Beinn na Gucaig
I followed this track along and found a much shallower easier ford back to the road and then i crossed the bridge back to the car
ImageImage455 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
So 3.66 miles, 2 hrs and 1322ft ascent in total
I drove back along the road to just past the WHW and parked and went down to the swimming pool in the river here, I was on my own so I didn't swim but I put my poor scratched to bits legs in the cool (cold) water for 20 mins and sat in the sunshine, tired but happy then went home for tea. A good day out!
ImageImage457 by julie.spittle, on Flickr
The pool.
Julie

Munros:227   Corbetts:63
Fionas:44   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:203   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland