walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Caisteal & Beinn a' Chroin with some pals and Kenny

An Caisteal & Beinn a' Chroin with some pals and Kenny

Postby Bean » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:12 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 23/05/2015

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1045m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Great day of walking, especially nice that Kenny the dog could join us!
Quite a long hike up initially to gain the ridge, and no obvious path so quite rough underfoot. Katie's (in pink) first Munro, not sure she quite realized what she was getting herself into.

IMG_0554.JPG
A very cute Kenny

Nice and easy once up on the ridge with a lovely track to follow.

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0556.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG

Slight bit of exposed path along the edge to reach the first summit, but very short and not difficult, us sitting at the top of this.
IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

Descending off An Caisteal, steep but easy.

IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

Looking out towards route up Beinn a'Chroin. Katie and I was worried by the look of this, but with three experienced guys telling us it was going to be easy we carried on.

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0569.JPG

Path is a bit steep and exposed in places but generally ok. There was one quite large step up which I am not sure I would have managed without a pull up from one of the guys, would not fancy it on my own anyway. Once over this bit the rest of the walk was straight forward.

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

The summit of Beinn a' Chroin is lovely, a few little lochs scattered about and great views. Quite a few big snow patches lying about too.

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

Looking at our long walk out along the glen.

IMG_0580.JPG

Katie did suberbly :clap: think she is undecided about when her next one will be though!!
Bean
Wanderer

Munros:69   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland