walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Inversions are common?

Inversions are common?

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:52 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Liath Mhòr, Sgòrr Ruadh

Date walked: 08/09/2015

Time taken: 8.15 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 1475m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was day 2 and my final day teaming up with Martin and Denise, being really good eggs they were even doing their first repeat hill :clap: :clap: The plan was for me to pitch up at their nice little cottage in Kinlochewe at 8.30 and then take both cars to the start point, I would then head home and they would return to Kinlochewe :wink:
Great plan and it worked a treat, we were soon on our way, however we got held up on the A832 by road works, quite a large work force were building/repairing a wall at the road side. Both sets of traffic lights were on red for about 20 minutes while the workers manouvred tractors and diggers, this resulted in an enormous queue of about 20 vehicles being inconvenienced :lol: Anyone who has driven along this superb road will know it is not exactly busy 8)
We arrived at the start point in Achnashellach and set off at 9.30am, yet again the midges were queueing up to greet us and expecting to have their breakfast :roll: After a rapid kitting up we were off, the plan was to follow the WH route up to Beinn Liath Mhor and then head across to Sgorr Ruadh.

Small parking area

Martin showing the way, not sure what Denise is/was doing

Looking back, note the low cloud

Just appearing above the cloud

The paths just about all day were excellent, that is until we lost it, more of that later :lol:
The path takes you across the railway line and through a forested area and then we reach a monster cairn which gives you the option of heading uphill or walking into Coire Lair, which would be the way back to the cars later.
At the first stop I took out my Avon anti midge spray and we all had a wee squirt, I was surprised as this one was oily, the one I have in the car is old stuff and that is a cream. Both versions seemed to work as I only have one bite & that is on my tummy - how I got bitten there, I have no idea :shock: :o
After the path splits the angle of ascent increases considerably and as we were in cloud the views were non existent, like the day before there was no wind so stopping was kept to a minimum - none of us are midgie fans and never will be, sorry if any midges are reading this :lol:
Just before we reached the the first flatter section we came out of the cloud and like yesterday on Liathach we had another inversion. Fluffy cotton wool cloud had been flattened out just below the summits, probably about 2500ft. As soon as we realised it was our lucky day again we had to stop and start getting busy with the camera's 8)

Martin leading the way, Fuar Tholl peeking out

Looking south

Martin & Denise trudging uphill

Fuar Tholl again

Holes starting to appear in the cotton wool

As we were ascending, the sun was starting to take charge and burning holes in the cloud, unfortunately we weren't quick enough to reach the top of the ridge, by the time we could see views to the north, the cloud had disappeared :( :roll: Oh well we can't have everything, inversions 2 days on the trot is something us walkers dream of 8) We just had to make do with the fabulous clear views to the north :lol:

Action shot on the ascent, cloud disappearing rapidly

Still looking south

Fuar Tholl looking very impressive

Looking west nice little lochan

Lochan zoomed

View north

Spoiling another great backdrop, thanks Martin :wink:

Looking back

Once we reached the higher ground as usual the views were amazing and we knew that was the worst over with. The problem we would have is the sun, yes I know it's not very often we complain about it, but I am British & not used to seeing it for several hours. Like dafties we didn't have any sun screen with us, well that's not strictly true, I had some but it was in the car :lol: So to walk 2 days running with just a base layer is almost unheard of, especially this summer :(
Whilst we were walking across to the summit of Beinn Leith Mhor I asked Martin and Denise if we would see anyone else and no sooner had I finished speaking and we met a female walking in the opposite direction, accompanied by her young spaniel 8)

Super water feature

Action shot looking back

A spot of scrambling down

Continued from above

Next

Denise's turn

Arty shot

Looking down on Coire Lair

Looking back

It was quite a trek but we finally reached the summit of Beinn Liath Mhor alot of effort and all Martin and Denise got was a repeat, I know they secretly enjoyed the special views we were treated to :clap: Martin and Denise knew what to expect on the descent and had me forewarned :lol: The initial part of the descent was over the usual bouldery stuff, the photo's later will hopefully demonstrate the scrambly bits.

Do views get any better? Looking across to Liathach, Alligin etc 8)

Thanks Martin :wink:

Looking NE

Lochan zoomed

Looking out to sea, Alligin just muscling in on the right

Looking down into Coire Lair

Boat heading out, zoomed

Going down

Alot steeper than it looks

We came down that

Once we got down to the bealach area, we followed the path but missed the turn off to the left but realised after about 100yds when we confronted by an overhanging steep looking rock face :lol: So after consulting my phone we turned round and picked up the faint path which improved as we gained height 8)
Whilst we were ascending Sgorr Ruadh we were caught up by a lone walker and took the opportunity to stop. After what seemed like quite a long stop we established the Jack was on a mission and his mission was to compleat all the Munro's this summer and Sgorr Ruadh would be his 205th. Here is a link to his website and good luck Jack, was a pleasure to meet you :clap: :clap: http://www.hcavfoundation.org/jack-campbell-munro-hunter/ Hope the plug is OK?

Action shot

Still going up

Next we were on the summit of Sgorr Ruadh, Martin and Denise's first new Munro and number 225 for me 8) Like yesterday the views were awesome and we had to force ourselves to move and start the trek back to the cars.

The view out to sea from the summit

The way down, with Fuar Tholl dominating

We could see the path in the distance we would be aiming for, little did we know it would be quite a challenge to actually find it. We set off downhill and reached a large bealach area that had lots of tempting little lochans.

Jack galloping off into the distance, he was contemplating dropping down and then up the other side to go up Maol Chean-dearg :o

Bealach area, with some lovely little lochans

Coire Lair in the background

After a bit of criss-crossing and faffing about on the bealach we picked a point and headed off in that direction, knowing that sooner or later it would intercept the path we were aiming for :lol:
The plan worked a treat and before we knew it we were on the path that was in Martin's words - "a motorway", it certainly made the walk back to the car so much easier and we made excellent progress. There was a burn to cross, but it didn't present a problem, after a spot or two of rain it could well be challenging :(

Looking back up Coire Lair, Beinn Liath Mhor on the right

After reaching the junction where the path splits we knew it was going to be easy for the rest of the descent and in no time we were back at the car park. The midges were waiting for us but not in the usual swarms 8)
It was time to say our goodbyes, I have had 2 fantastic days in amazing weather and company, like yesterday a massive thank you to Martin and Denise. If anyone doubts the 'meeting up' thread section of WH, I can guarantee that if you want company when you head out just post - you will certainly get a response and probably some company and if you are really unlucky it could be me :lol: :lol:

Next - well I don't really know yet, I have a week overseas with Mrs F before I can start planning again 8)
Last edited by Fife Flyer on Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Inversions are common?

Postby ancancha » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:04 am

Another great day for you and a nice report and as usual quality photos, although I think you had a bit of help from the mountainscape :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby basscadet » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:23 am

Oh you are so lucky - They are brilliant hills and you got such a nice day for them - just brilliant :clap:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby dogplodder » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:19 am

Great photos of a stunning area on a gorgeous day. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:23 am

Great report of some of my favourite mountains in the world.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby martin.h » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi Martin,
We were treated to some really special mountain days, I still can't believe how lucky we were.
Another great report, thanks for describing the day so well and the photos are superb.

I bet that bealach between Fuar Tholl and Sgorr Ruadh is a devil to navigate in thick mist.
I must say tho', looking at Fuar Tholl in all it's glory last Tuesday has elevated it's "must do" status a great deal :D :lol:

Thanks again for being with us,

Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby simon-b » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:27 pm

Superb views on that route, Martin. I got a nice clear day for these last year; you had the bonus of inversions!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland