walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Killing Time in the Campsie's! The Whangie, Pulpit & Earl!

Killing Time in the Campsie's! The Whangie, Pulpit & Earl!

Postby JimboJim » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:38 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Earl's Seat

Date walked: 31/08/2015

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had a quick look for a walk somewhere near Glasgow, which would provide some exercise and interest, while my young fella was off to Stranraer to play footie and the wife was killing time and our bank balance, in the shops of Braehead. Came up with an idea to combine a few ideas found on WH, namely visit The Whangie & Queen's View (looked interesting), The Devil's Pulpit (sounded scary) and The Earl's Seat (smelled malty?)
Campsie's 003_1067_800.JPG
You can't beat a good view of The Whangie on a Sunday morning!
Campsie's 009_1067_800.JPG
Nothing is complete without a wee bit of human art!
Didn't take too long driving out past Bearsden/Milngavie (A809), to find the car park for The Whangie. Path certainly a bit squishy - and squashy here and there. I stuck to the low route, on the north side, which gradually turns round to reveal The Whangie, a strange, narrow gap/split through high sided rock, providing a sheltered passage of some 30-40 yards? What is 'a whangie?' I could only guess. Took a wee detour round top, but not easy to get a bird's eye view. Carried on to top of hill, but Queen had moved on since having her view. Hope she was wearing her wellie's as it's equally mushy on top. Think whole trip to just less than an hour and a half, but would have been much less, minus scrambling for photo's.
Campsie's 019_1067_800.JPG
Into The Whangie!
Campsie's 020_1067_800.JPG
Looking down on The Whangie.
Campsie's 029_1067_800.JPG
Dumgoyne/Earl's Seat from Queen's View.

Next stop was Finnich Glen, probably about a couple of miles north of the Whangie. Road drops down to a bridge among woods, either side. Wee parking spot here, but I moved on about a further hundred yards, to the turn off for the B834, where there is an old junction, where one can squeeze in a few carefully parked cars. This does present the downside of walk back along main road, where caution is required - though there may, may be a track heads through the field from here??
Campsie's 032_1067_800.JPG
Finnich Bridge.
Campsie's 042_1067_800.JPG
All I wanted is a photograph.
Campsie's 050_1067_800.JPG
Modern health and safety equipment is to hand :)

Anyway, once past the bridge heading back the way, on the left hand side, you will see where to enter, what becomes a myriad of various paths where folk seek a view down into the gully/canyon, orwhatever one wants to call it. Eventually, I came to the 'steps' down, which have yet to be fully risk assessed by H&S, because when they are, someone will obviously decide they are not safe for Joe Public! Take care going down the slimy, dank steps and use the wee bit rope too.
Campsie's 056_1067_800.JPG
Explorer's better equipped than I.
Campsie's 059_1067_800.JPG
More steps.
Campsie's 065_1067_800.JPG
Very narrow in parts.
Not having shorts, or wading gear, views were restricted but, still mesmorising. Would have loved to have explored deeper. After a few pics, I climbed back up, then wandered another 100, or so yaards to where the river opens out and got a few more photo's. Not a big walk, but allow an hour, or more for gazing!
Campsie's 066_600_800.JPG
Part of 'steps' down/up.
Campsie's 069_1067_800.JPG
A busy place at times.
Campsie's 079_1067_800.JPG
Carnock Burn, rich colours.
Campsie's 080_1067_800.JPG
Looking in from downstream.

I then moved on to Dumgoyne Distillery, where I would have enjoyed a wee visit to sample the golden nectar, but couldn't resist a wee hike up the 427m, of volcanic plug, aka Dumgoyne hill. A steep little blighter. I also found the start directions a bit dodgy, taking the path left below the house, led me to a dead end. Anyway, just keep going up, towards the hill, through the trees. Good views could be had toward Glasgow, Loch Lomond, Arrochar hills, Ben Vorlich, but today wasn't being too kind weatherwise.
Campsie's 030_1067_800.JPG
Glasgow.
Campsie's 087_1067_800.JPG
Ben Vorlich, Stuc a'Chroin direction.
Campsie's 088_1067_800.JPG
Loch Lomond

From the top, it is another steep drop to the north, before heading out for the summit. I must admit, I found this part of the walk rather dreich, with a few real boggy bits and not much to see, or excite. Made it to the top, took a few pics, then hurried back down, time begining to get a bit tight.
Campsie's 095_1092_800.JPG
Dumgoyne from roadside.
Campsie's 094_1067_800.JPG
A distillery. Other distillery's are available, though not so many in this part of the world.
Campsie's 090_1067_800.JPG
The steep descent from further up the hill.

Made it back into town in time to pick up Coll, then join Pam and Cameron for a fun night in Glasgow, before the more emotional joys of leaving No.1 son at new digs, to begin his college days. Oh, how I wish I could turn back time, as Cher sang :D
Campsie's 066_600_800.JPG
Part of 'steps' down/up.
Attachments
Campsie's 068_1067_800.JPG
Looking down from higher up than it looks.
Campsie's 073_1067_800.JPG
Poor picture, but anyone identify the birdy?
Campsie's 091_1067_800.JPG
Glasgow from the Earl's Seat. Which Earl?
Campsie's 093_1096_800.JPG
Looking down from the hill. WHW track behind distillery warehouses.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland