walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Brisk and bracing above Kingussie

Brisk and bracing above Kingussie

Postby Driftwood » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Route description: Càrn an Fhreiceadain from Kingussie

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn an Fhreiceadain

Date walked: 02/09/2015

Time taken: 3.08 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was an early short work intended to take advantage of a more favourable morning forecast. It turned out that the weather was quite bracing (especially the cold northerly wind), but did stay dry except for a brief drizzly shower and the cloud level held above Carn an Fhreicadain. There were more showers over Newtonmore that afternoon (though also more sunshine and clear spells), justifying the decision to get out early.
I opted to walk the suggested circuit over Beinn Bhreac, which varies the route and adds minimal extra distance and ascent (though it did involve spending a little longer exposed to the cool wind blowing over the Monadliath).

Having set off slightly later than intended (it was well before 6:30, but there would have been enough light to start sooner), I pushed the pace a bit, hoping to get back to Newtonmore (by car) for 10 AM. This is a longish walk for a single Corbett, but has a tarmac road (to above the golf course) then solid hill tracks for all but a few steps of the way. So you can make your own pace and pick footwear to suit. I wore boots (in case of rain and not being sure of the ground), but I'm comfortable walking briskly even with a kilo on each foot.

From the car-park, I turned left along the road, then soon took a footpath that runs alongside and crosses the Gynack Burn. This is one of several waymarked routes, so there are signs to follow at first. After climbing slightly on the east bank of the burn, I kept with the quiet minor road. It may be possible to find alternatives, but the only traffic that I encountered was one 4x4 during my return.

The light gradually improved as I passed the golf-course (with no activity yet), then the road curves and undulates as it passes the last houses to reach a vehicle bridge. A sign indicates the choice between Carn an Fhreiceadain West and East; after checking the map, I picked the western route (crossing the bridge) in order to visit the Corbett summit first, saving the east track as an option to descend.

Over the bridge and past some buildings, a gate led to a rougher track climbing open moorland. This felt a bit of a slog, especially since the bulk of the hill ahead was still sheltering me from the promised cool wind. That was probably due to keeping up a pace more suitable to level strolls than (gentle) ascents, so I tried to cool down with a drink of water and very quick photo break.
DSCF9441.jpg
Looking back across Glen Gynack

A tree-topped rise ahead guided the track before that wriggled and led down to another bridge. It also helped to confirm that I was about half-way, though the summit itself was difficult to see due to the gradual rounded slopes inbetween.
DSCF9443.jpg
The wooded knoll

I pressed on, feeling distinctly warm even now a stronger breeze was blowing towards me. After crossing the bridge (and losing a bit of height), the track reaches a steeper stage, curving around Meall Unaig. This hides the route ahead, so needs some glances at the map in order to avoid taking the wrong one of several tracks turning off. I managed to keep going on the direct route, rewarded when it eased off and I spotted a possible trig point through the lower edge of the cloud. That proved to be a crafty trig-shaped cairn (a little way off the track), but the real top was only five minutes away.
DSCF9447.jpg
Southwest cairn

The hazy cloud did limit views, but even in fog the tracks are plain enough that this shouldn't give much trouble to navigate. I had finally put on a jacket, feeling much cooler in a northerly wind and after the ascent was done, but the conditions were generally pleasant. Just as well, since the wind-shelter around the cairn would not be much use unless I lay down on the ground.
DSCF9449.jpg
Carn an Fhreiceadain trig point

I paused a minute longer to let a herd of 10 does pass, headed north into the Monadliath. They were near enough for a photo, but not clear in the thin cloud and overcast light. Then continuing along the track, which zigs then zags, shedding a modest amount of height before climbing gently onto Beinn Bhreac. This proved a better viewpoint, slightly further from the cloud level though that still provided a ceiling not far above.
DSCF9452.jpg
Carn an Fhreiceadain from Beinn Bhreac

After a brief photo-stop, I rejoined the tracks heading south. Some sunshine broke through the cloud, inspiring a further quick halt to snap some evident. Then it was back to dashing down the track - I admit to breaking into a jog for some of this stage, such was the encouraging gradient and footing provided.
DSCF9458.jpg
Creag Dhubh (left) and A' Chailleach (right)

I passed a very fine shooting hut on the way down, easing my pace as the track turned south and slightly west. It runs alongside a fence, but I resisted the temptation of hopping over and instead used the gate just past a junction of tracks.
DSCF9462.jpg
Across Moine Bad Each

From there, it was hardly half a mile to a parking area at the edge of the forestry. Another quarter of a mile later, I rejoined the ascent route at the first bridge and signpost between West and East routes.
DSCF9463.jpg
Now that really is a truck

The final stage was almost a repeat of the approach, but with slightly more activity (I met one vehicle, a runner and a dog walker). I crossed the Gynack on a different footbridge in order to use the small road down past the hospital, mainly just to add variety. There were harebells and other wildflowers out and it's a pleasant burn and stroll when there is time. But I'd pushed the pace earlier on and it became a challenge to keep on going briskly. I missed the 3 hour mark, but enjoyed the walk and especially having had good luck with the weather.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland