walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Family adventure to the top of Britain

Family adventure to the top of Britain

Postby Flo glida » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:46 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 13/09/2015

Time taken: 7.36 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1352m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first report so hope you like it .
The idea to climb Ben Nevis this year originated from a New Years Morning stroll up the Law in Dundee . Myself and my partner had been walking for about a year but the rest of the family had not shown much interest until then . Originally it was to be the 6 adults however the wee ones were carried away with our enthusiasm and decided to do it about 4 months ago Most of this year has involved the family clambering round Scotland bagging Corbetts and Munro's along the way preparing for the Big Ben with a few set backs along the way . I cracked my ribs an March and My nephew Campbell broke his arm only 5 weeks ago falling out of a tree .
However soon the weekend had arrived . we were all very excited and had booked accommodation at Inchree for the Friday and Saturday night. As a family we had all now become weather experts after spending the week anticipating and checking every forecast available . My partner and I were first to Fort William and after checking in at the Ben Nevis Visitors centre it was clear we were not walking on Saturday :( This was due to 50 mile an hour winds forecast . Climbing not advisable especially with children . ( we did consider weighing them down with Nevis rocks !! )
So Sunday it was . Everyone in bed for 9.30pm after carbing up all day and alarms set for 6am .
fionas walking 332 (568x553).jpg

We were at the Visitors centre at 8am and the climb began . As the photo shows the kids were excited and full of energy after a big breakfast . Weather was also good.
The route was exactly what we expected and our focus was to make it to half way in about 2 hours giving us a further 2 hours at least to reach the summit . Weather was still good however the wind did pick up a bit just after Loch Meall an t-Suidhe. The children were amazing and we reached the Waterfall in exactly 2 hours . Although it was only 10am we did stop and have some tomatoes soup sandwiches and sweets .
fionas walking 337.JPG

From here it was straight onto the ZigZags .
fionas walking 315 (540x540).jpg

fionas walking 254 (800x600).jpg

The Kids were still ahead and we only stopped on a few occasions to catch our breath . However as we reached the top the views disappeared and was only given a tiny brief glimpse of the summit in the distance .
fionas walking 243 (800x600).jpg

Everyone was in good spirits and some were feeling a bit emotional with the thought of actually accomplishing Ben Nevis as a family .
We stumbled on the top unexpectedly as the fog was so thick we could only see a few feet in front of us . We were lucky as there were not many people at the top when we arrived and managed a few family photos on the cairn . The kids were shivering so we wrapped them up with more layers and found a sheltered spot to have more soup and coffee and corn beef sandwiches . We made the call to our Mum and Dad to share our excitement and to tell them what their grandchildren had achieved .... They were very shocked that we were calling from the top.
fionas walking 313 (640x640).jpg

Great atmosphere at the top despite the wind and fog . We saw a couple who were celebrating with a glass of champagne and eating couscous . (Wish I had thought of that!! ). We didn't hang about too long as we needed to keep the kids moving due to the wind chill . We were glad to get down a bit as the rain had started . A few more layers on and we began the descent . Some found this harder than others due to knees and hips playing up . Once again the kids were amazing and only had a few moans which were resolved quickly with a song and a piece of chocolate .
fionas walking 329 (800x600).jpg

By the time we reached the waterfall again the sun was out and the layers were coming off.
fionas walking 220 (800x600).jpg

Back down to the Nevis Inn in a very respectable 7hrs 36 minutes . Brilliant day . Family bonding and aching legs, worth every minute . Congratulation to Amber 9 on bagging Ben Nevis as her first Munro and To Campbell 11 for the same and to Hamish 8 for bagging his second .. What an achievement .

fionas walking 248 (600x800).jpg

Views were amazeballs
fionas walking 285 (600x800).jpg

fionas walking 279 (800x600).jpg
Attachments
fionas walking 272 (800x600).jpg
fionas walking 301 (800x800).jpg
Flo glida
Hill Bagger

Munros:31   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Family adventure to the top of Britain

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:45 am

A good achievment for all to make it up and down. I was up the ben last week myself, hard going on the way down :D
Sunset tripper

Re: Family adventure to the top of Britain

Postby ancancha » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:53 am

The entire clan up the Ben by the sounds of it 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland