walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hart Fell and Arthur's Seat (the other one)

Hart Fell and Arthur's Seat (the other one)

Postby dickens96 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:19 pm

Route description: Hart Fell ridges horseshoe, near Moffat

Corbetts included on this walk: Hart Fell

Donalds included on this walk: Hart Fell

Date walked: 19/09/2015

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 808m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well made the mistake today of following the weather forecast and headed South to the Borders - I should have gone North! Arrived to get up Hart Fell from Ericstane just North of Moffat - it was totally hidden in low cloud. You head out the Old Edinburgh Road for about 3 miles (single track) and park by the tin hut that was a village hall I think - there's space for about four cars without blocking the gates to the field on either side. Headed North on the road to the signpost for Hartfell Spa. You go through 5 kissing gates and fields on a fairly well worn path. At the last gate and a deer fence you can go straight on which takes you up the Auchencat valley to the Hartfell Spa. I decided to swing up to the left side of the fence to join an atv track that headed up over Well Rig well above the valley. This track gradually climbs the ridge - its a gradual ascent with one or two steepish bits, but for the most part its a gentle if boggy grass track. You come up on Arthur's Seat ( another one) by which time you are almost at the top of the ridge - there's a wee cairn to mark it at 747 mtrs. the path then swings North West to a fence line that takes you a short way up to the cairn at 808 mtrs.

P1020834.jpg
Misty start

P1020835.jpg
Hart Fell top

P1020836.jpg

P1020838.jpg
Great views - better if clearer though

Lots of options from here - you could go South east and walk the ridge round to Falcon Craig, and Nether Coomb Craig then return down via Blue Cairn and Watch Hill. I just went back the way I came as the weather was just average.

P1020843.jpg
The cairn on Arthur's Seat

P1020844.jpg

P1020850.jpg

P1020852.jpg

P1020857.jpg
Hart Fell from the A701 - you can just make out the path I took up
dickens96
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Grahams:4   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:12   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland