walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ten Cool ‘uns on Skye

Ten Cool ‘uns on Skye

by Silverhill » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:48 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Alasdair

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Bruach na Frìthe, Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr a' Ghreadaidh, Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh, Sgùrr Alasdair, Sgùrr Dubh Mòr, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich, Sgùrr na Sgìne, Sgùrr nan Eag, Sgùrr nan Gillean, The Saddle

Date walked: 08/08/2015

Distance: 78.8 km

Ascent: 8282m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Ten Cool ‘uns on Skye

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:07 pm

Good job well done!
Pity that the weather wasn't a bit more like your final day, but it is Skye :lol:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Silverhill » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:59 pm

Thanks Beaner001! :D It was great. I read your report among others before my trip and some of the pictures put me right off. But you were right, it was fine!

Thanks weaselmaster, it feels good! :D
This ‘summer’ hasn’t been great at all. So I think (wishfully) that the weather will be better when I return. :lol:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Scotjamie » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:21 pm

Just stunning SH.
Great report and pics
Trying to work out how you manage to be scary and reassuring at the same time!
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Silverhill » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:47 pm

Thanks Scotjamie! :D
Scotjamie wrote:Trying to work out how you manage to be scary and reassuring at the same time!

The result of going with a good guide!
Silverhill

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:16 am

Excellent stuff! Thanks for an enjoyable report, which makes me very glad that I was lucky enough to do almost all the Cuillin Munros cloud free during a wonderful couple of weeks 20+ years ago. Still, the reports on here like your do give me a hankering to return, somewhat slower, somewhat fatter, and definitely somewhat more wimpy!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:25 am

Great report...Great photos...Great area...and Great trip :clap: :clap: :clap:
Well done ! :clap: :D :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:10 pm

Wow SH that was truly superb! :D :D :D

I still have a few more hills to finish off on Skye and I will be rereading this excellent report many times for help and encouragement- thank you so much for posting :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PS how are your poor legs??? :shock: :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dooterbang » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:31 pm

Ooooft that was epic stuff! Enjoyed reading this last night :) . You'll be glad to get all the ridge done and not leave it all till last, like I'm almost doing :shock: :lol: Looked very dramatic with all that wetness, ropes, and clag. Superb effort to then go do the Forcan Ridge. I loved the FR, so much so drove up 2 weeks after climbing it to do it all again :)
Wise choice to take a reading from the summit of Sgritheall. Brought back memories of my mate and I walking from the summit in the clag to be lost five minutes later!! Ended up walking back to the summit and took a reading, lesson learned :) I though you would've incorporated the 2 corbetts with Sgritheall :wink:

Brilliant report of a wonderful weeks walking.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Silverhill » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks Mal Grey! :D
Mal Grey wrote:Excellent stuff! Thanks for an enjoyable report, which makes me very glad that I was lucky enough to do almost all the Cuillin Munros cloud free during a wonderful couple of weeks 20+ years ago. Still, the reports on here like your do give me a hankering to return, somewhat slower, somewhat fatter, and definitely somewhat more wimpy!
Lucky you to have done these in cloud free conditions!

Petr Dakota wrote:Great report...Great photos...Great area...and Great trip :clap: :clap: :clap:
Well done ! :clap: :D :clap:
Thanks Petr, it was brilliant! :D

Thanks Polly, you are very kind :D
pollyh33 wrote:PS how are your poor legs??? :shock: :shock:
Apart from being slightly battered (that’s my inelegant knees-and-elbows climbing technique for you :roll: ), the legs were fine. I can now wear shorts again :lol:

Thanks dooterbang :D
dooterbang wrote:Ooooft that was epic stuff! Enjoyed reading this last night :) . You'll be glad to get all the ridge done and not leave it all till last, like I'm almost doing :shock: :lol: Looked very dramatic with all that wetness, ropes, and clag. Superb effort to then go do the Forcan Ridge. I loved the FR, so much so drove up 2 weeks after climbing it to do it all again :)
Wise choice to take a reading from the summit of Sgritheall. Brought back memories of my mate and I walking from the summit in the clag to be lost five minutes later!! Ended up walking back to the summit and took a reading, lesson learned :) I though you would've incorporated the 2 corbetts with Sgritheall :wink: Brilliant report of a wonderful weeks walking.
I’m still glad I didn’t leave them till last: to have missed out on all that fun for longer would have been a shame. Forcan Ridge (and Skye) will have to wait for substantially more than two weeks, but return I will!
Obviously I haven’t got the corbetts as firmly on my radar as the munros. Give it a few more years…. :D
Silverhill

Postby GeorgiePorgie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:45 pm

Fantastic report with great pics despite the mixed weather. Has given me ideas to use a guide on these hills when I come to do them like you did :)
GeorgiePorgie
Munro compleatist

Postby Silverhill » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:08 pm

Thanks GeorgiePorgie! I hope you get good weather for them!
Silverhill

Postby skyeles » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:11 pm

Wow, what an epic trip (or, should I say, expedition) - don't know if I would have the energy to attempt all that in such a short space of time! Great photos too! :clap:
skyeles
Munro compleatist

Munros:31   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   

Postby Bonzo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:59 pm

Great report but what about Sgurr na Banachdich? :wink:
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:20 pm

What a great report - which further convinces me I'll never do all of the Cuillin ridge! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby AJNicholls » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:29 pm

Great report.

Brings back some memories of being with Paddy last year. That guy is truly a legend of the Cuillin. Everyone on the island seems to know him. We did Mhadaidh and Ghreadaidh on Day 1 too, but weather wasn't suited for carrying on to Banachdich then either. We made it there a few days later as a single ascent. I wonder what percentage of attempts make it to all 3?
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

24 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland