walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The most handsome ptarmigan ...the truejoy of the mountains?

The most handsome ptarmigan ...the truejoy of the mountains?

Postby AFinlay » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:35 am

Route description: Cul Mor

Corbetts included on this walk: Cul Mor

Date walked: 16/09/2015

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I am afraid that I am not big on heights, hours, distances.....I grew up in the Scots hills but now live in the fens and so like a lot so Scotland's visitors I am not as hill fit as those who rush past all walking sticks and stop watches!
However, this hill is quite do-able if you allow yourself time. The rewards are huge for us sligtly less fit folk. Pony hoof prints attest to where the stalkers have been with these foot sure native highland ponies and the most handsome ptarmigan lives on the bolder field! Dove grey and fluffy white legs he strutted his stuff back and forward for us. His camoflage is perfect but he was pointed out for us by my working spaniel in the fabulous ancient landscape. Surely this is the true joy of the mountains? It certainly made the 14 hour drive worthwhile for me.

Alison F.
AFinlay

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland