walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Ring of Cailliche

The Ring of Cailliche

Postby ancancha » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Route description: Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a'Chreachain

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair, Beinn Mhanach

Date walked: 22/09/2015

Time taken: 8.1 hours

Distance: 30.82 km

Ascent: 1814m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Gleann Cailliche Three 22 Sep 2015.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Well almost the Ring of Cailliche :roll:

I'd been up on Sunday to recce the area on my mountain bike cycling around Loch Lyon, very enjoyable. Having found nothing to stop me getting these three Munros from this side I plotted a course and set off from the easy parking just before the damn.

As I had done this a couple of days previous it was all very familiar, but there's always a different angle and different light.
The track in

and a view of Creag Mhor which I'd done a week or so ago

On in and up the Glean Cailliche track, the Allt is like so many others beautiful. I was also eye bawling the off from Beinn Mhanach just in case, but saw no obstacles there

Wired the bike and pinned it in the sat nav, it would probably be dark when I returned as per my usual :roll:

I found a really nice stream to follow on the way up, sort of like a natural flume come water slide 8)

and on checking out the ridge it looked like I'd be scrambling :?:
mmm, oh well I'm not going to be able to assess whether I would manage until I got up there.

Nice geology in the stream

Got up to what turned out to be a sort of false corie, quite interesting the way it's laid out, although at this point I was wondering if I should attempt the scramble :?:

Anyway onwards and upwards and a few metres higher and it was very evident how it all was. Bit disappointing that all the mountains around are clag free

but Beinn a Chreachain is being stuborn :(
Views over to the Meall na Feithe Faide plateau are excellent, Loch Ericht in the background

It was getting a bit blowy when I got up onto the ridge, but at last I can see how it all goes together and was a bit reassured

still stashed the poles and put on gloves just in case there were any hidden scrambling features in the clag. Views were really starting to impress, the ridge

up to Glen Coe

The path up the ridge is fine, in fact quite good fun with a clear path, the Lochans on either side, lochain a Chreachain

and Corie Dubh Beag Lochan, you can see the ridge I was concerned about wouldn't really have been an issue if it was the route up, basscadet and altenacker would have thrived on it as a warm up :lol:

My tame path with the very definite grey clag unversion :!:
This is how it was, a sheet of grey cloud with everything below seemingly in bight sunshine :!:

A view back down the ridge

The cairn in the distance with a nice lump of white quartz

I had a feeling the clag would lift and very shortly after getting to the cairn, sure enough

A great view of the head up Gleann Cailliche with the spectacular Beinn Dorain, the mountain that really dominates the A82 as you come out of the bends after Tyndrum, awesome

The ridge to Beinn Achaladair

Down to the col over some rocks to start with, but all very easy, and a great view of Beinn Mhanach from the top of Corie a Mhath-gamhna

It took me a while to get up to the summit of Beinn a Chreachain, but knew I'd pick up speed along the ridge to Beinn Achaladair, there was a path to start with and then it disappeared into some rocks, but the going is easy. I made my way closer up to the edge of the ridge and found the path again.

Guess this pile of stones is Meall Buidh

Beinn Achaladair

Down to the col and across, but on looking up at where the path was going up into the crags some second thoughts :think:
I saw a walker, the only one I saw all day who had come around the side, maybe there was a tame way up :?: I shouted over and we had a chat, nice bloke from Bristol doing a bit of wild camping. Reassured I set off up the scramble and watched him disappear rapidly up the ridge, I could tell he was one of these fit walkers who despite the tent, sleeping bag etc would march on, he was soon out of site

Lots of Ravens traverse the ridge between the two Munros.
The path up the scramble starts quite easily, one of those short zig zag affairs

but there were some fabulously interesting bits with views

and some tame scrambling for entertainment

The cairn

I had intended to carry on along the ridge, the views would have definitely impressed, Loch Tulla

but decided to short cut down into Corie nan Clach, which is a very flat and unusual

There were cliffs, but these are easily avoided to the east. As you would imagine looking at the wee Lochans and the flatness it was a bit squelchy

but no big deal and I soon crossed a main tributary of the Allt Fionn a Ghlinne and then down to the col which looked like one of those very boggy areas from where if you put a foot wrong you may not escape :shock:
This photo looking back across an up the tame ridge I would have come down if I'd carried on all the way round the rim.
Lon na Cailliche

From here I new I had another biggish ascent up to Beinn Mhanach and wanted to get up high so that I could get a decent photo of the flat start of Corie nan Clach, but the sun was there now and this was the best I got

Up to the col and a view of Beinn Mhanach

Even at this late stage I was getting some great views, this down Gleann Achadh-innis Chailein, superb 8)

and the ridge back towards Beinn a Chuirn, a nice sunset 8)

From the cairn a grandstand view of Creag Mhor and Beinn Sheasgarraich, outstanding :!:

Anyway it was now getting dark and I need to crack on down to the track. No real issues other than the fading light, there was even a path to start with, although it didn't last long :!:
Great view down Loch Lyon and the Glen

Next stage down the flat gully to the Allt Ghlinne which I intersected a bit high and had a ten metre drop before crossing. I stopped and put the head torch on and found an easy place to cross

Had to follow the track down for a few hundred metres to the bike, so glad I pinned it in the satnav :roll:

Think I am going to change my name to nightlite :lol:

Got sorted out and an easy cycle back, a full moon and some stars. I did stop and tried to get a photo using the gorilla pod, the moon shining across the Loch

Hope it conveys some of the atmosphere

Would have been nice to have done the complete ring, I'm sure the views towards the west would have been fantastic, but I really enjoyed what I got :D
Last edited by ancancha on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: The Ring of Cailliche

Postby Silverhill » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:07 pm

Ah, that recce on the bike came in handy! Interesting approach to these hills. :thumbup:
Some lovely pictures after the clag had lifted, especially the summit shot of Beinn Achaladair. I saw nothing when I did these hills. Thanks for reminding me that I need to return. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby ancancha » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:06 am

Silverhill wrote:Ah, that recce on the bike came in handy! Interesting approach to these hills. :thumbup:
Some lovely pictures after the clag had lifted, especially the summit shot of Beinn Achaladair. I saw nothing when I did these hills. Thanks for reminding me that I need to return. :D

Cheers Silverhill, had looked at doing it for a while.
I'd also like to do the cycle in from Kinglass to check it out as it sounds interesting on the WH writeup, there's so many possibilities to do these Munros :wink:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:55 am

I haven't been that far up Glen Lyon yet... But it looks interesting! One more walk for a long summer day :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:38 pm

:clap: 100 behind corner :D :clap:
...and you love the area now :lol: :D 8) :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:28 pm

We will never meet on a hill unless it's in a car park with me finishing and you starting :lol: :lol:

Interesting to see this route for these hills, still to do them so it looks like a possible alternative (without that two wheeled thing of course).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby teaandpies » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:50 pm

I like the look of these hills, nice views :D
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby ancancha » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:54 pm

BlackPanther wrote:I haven't been that far up Glen Lyon yet... But it looks interesting! One more walk for a long summer day :D

Was going to suggest you and Kevin bike round the Loch for light relief, but may be a bit bobbly on the bike for Kevin at this stage.
I think the wee bit of track up to Srath Tarabhan at the end would make your purr :wink:

Petr Dakota wrote::clap: 100 behind corner :D :clap:
...and you love the area now :lol: :D 8) :wink:

I think with my starting mid afternoon all the time it will be next year before I make any more progress, though you never know :wink:
It's really nice to be able to relate to where you are and where you have been, so concentrating on the one area has that advantage :D

Gordie12 wrote:We will never meet on a hill unless it's in a car park with me finishing and you starting :lol: :lol:

Interesting to see this route for these hills, still to do them so it looks like a possible alternative (without that two wheeled thing of course).

:) early rising has never been me, other than when I worked offshore and did shifts :!:
I wouldn't be without my mobility allowance now, I am after all a pensioner and entitled to it :lol:

teaandpies wrote:I like the look of these hills, nice views :D

Views were great, and I could just tell the ones to the west would have been awesome. Beinn Mhanach gets a good write up coming in from Kinglass, enjoy 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:33 pm

Interesting route - good one for the bike. Walked these hills as a loop from Achallader farm in the snow - perishingly cold at the time but your route looks a good alternative - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ancancha » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:57 pm

rockhopper wrote:Interesting route - good one for the bike. Walked these hills as a loop from Achallader farm in the snow - perishingly cold at the time but your route looks a good alternative - cheers :)

Thanks rockhopper, definitely a biker hike and I also think that doing the full ridge round and getting the views to the west would just have put the icing on the cake, Beinn an Dothaidh and Beinn Dorain must look fabulous from the ridge.
Took me about 6 hours for my track from where I left the bike to returning to it, 2pm to 8pm. I tend to be a bit slow going up hill, I would think a fit person would manage the complete ridge in the same or less WP
ancancha
Mountain Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland