walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vuirich, Noddy rides again.

Ben Vuirich, Noddy rides again.

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:14 pm

Route description: Ben Vuirich

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vuirich

Date walked: 26/09/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 22.58 km

Ascent: 809m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

: This was to be Theresa's first hill since an evening climb of Conic Hill a few weeks ago and I had recently had a fine week in Skye with additional hills done last week around Fort William so was reasonably hill fit, Noddy on the other hand had not been on a hill since Charlie's Aultguish meet in early August and was looking forward to another spin up a glen. After a few E mails between myself and T it was decided to start from Straloch on the Pitlochry to Bridge of Cally road as there was a fine estate road suitable for cycling according to both Beaners001 and Geordie 12 reports which were read prior to walking. I parked the car at the recycling area as suggested by Geordie12 and assembled Noddy who was anxious to get away and waited for Mountain Thyme who had been delayed by slow traffic along the minor roads FROM Blairgowrie.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Noddy very excited and ready to Go!
2.JPG
I was quite happy to hang on a while for Theresa as the cloud was low and I thought the longer it takes to go up the glen, the better. Not really what the weather forecast had promised
3.JPG
After climbing the first hill from the main road the roads gradient improved and was reasonably level which made for easy cycling, there was no sign of the highland cattle the Geordie had mentioned but we could hear the farms dogs barking as mentioned by Beaner and Geordie when we passed. The first bridge we crossed after we had opened a gate which had been closed over the road earlier
4.JPG
Looking further up the glen with a mini bus about to pass up on the road
5.JPG
Theresa with her well pumped up tyres enjoying the the flat cycle up the glen, the end of the cycle part at a bridge near the tree plantations in the distance and before the cottage at Daldhu
6.JPG
Bikes safely secured and locked at the bridge, now for the assembly of the walking poles, 'Now how do they go again?' Don't seem to be locking somehow. 45mins cycling to bridge.
7.JPG
Heading on up the grassy slopes from the bridge with Daldhu cottage beside the tree plantation, from which a hammering noise is coming from, obviously somebody working away while we are enjoying ourselves
8.JPG
Nearly 11.30 and still not lifting
9.JPG
A bit further on and the cloud at last is shifting maybe there will be some views from the summit. At a large boulder not the one on Beaner's report
10.JPG
Not long after and further on is the fence line which is easily climbed
11.JPG
Theresa below the clouds, looking back towards Glen Fearnach
12.JPG
A zoom over to Loch Loch N West
13.JPG
Loch Loch en route to the top of Carn Dubh
14.JPG
The wall on the horizon which just stops, the actual summit is North West over a grassy summit which flattens out and has a path most of the way to the Cairn and trig point
15.JPG
The summit of Ben Vuirich in the distance
16.JPG
Mountain Thyme at the summit
17.JPG
The Rodmiester at the summit with Beinn A'Ghlo behind
18.JPG
Summit selfie, another Corbett topped
19.JPG
Both on the way up and down there was much evidence of parts of deer left on the hillside by the shooting parties. On the route map it shows that we went to the cottage at Daldhu, under normal circumstances there is no need to go there, no doubt others will enlighten you the reasons for visiting, lol.
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Ben Vuirich, Noddy rides again.

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Another nice one done Rod :clap: :clap: :clap:
It looks like you are really enjoying the Noddy in your trips :lol: 8) :lol:
By the way I guess you will not like the snow in winter :roll: :lol: :wink: :lol:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:23 pm

Hi Rod

Seem to remember the climb after the run down fence was quite tough but once up, a really nice walk along the wide ridge to the top - shame you never got the best of days with a bit of clag around.

Met this guy during my walk on Saturday - just wondered if you would have shot past him on Noddy before he could react???

4.jpg
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Silverhill » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Nice one. Looks like the both of you had fun! :D
My feet remember that road through Gleann Fearnach very well from some years ago. I could have done with a lightweight rucksack sized Noddy then!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:38 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:Another nice one done Rod :clap: :clap: :clap:
It looks like you are really enjoying the Noddy in your trips :lol: 8) :lol:
By the way I guess you will not like the snow in winter :roll: :lol: :wink: :lol:

Hi Petr, that might be Noddy away for the winter now, not much good in ice and snow , will stick with my pins :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:40 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Rod

Seem to remember the climb after the run down fence was quite tough but once up, a really nice walk along the wide ridge to the top - shame you never got the best of days with a bit of clag around.

Met this guy during my walk on Saturday - just wondered if you would have shot past him on Noddy before he could react???

4.jpg

Hi Gordie, those horns look very long and sharp, luckily no sign of cows near the roadside, phew :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:46 pm

Silverhill wrote:Nice one. Looks like the both of you had fun! :D
My feet remember that road through Gleann Fearnach very well from some years ago. I could have done with a lightweight rucksack sized Noddy then!

Your right Silverhill, we do have fun, very enjoyable days that's what it's all about. Talking about that road, wait till you read Mountain Thymes report all will be revealed, just think along the lines of walking that road twice after taking the bikes along :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:22 pm

Interesting route, might try it if we get around to our second round of Corbetts :wink:

Always nice to see big smiles up on the hills :D :D :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:33 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Interesting route, might try it if we get around to our second round of Corbetts :wink:

Always nice to see big smiles up on the hills :D :D :D

Good to see your out and about again BP, I must admit I was to be heading for the Bridge of Tilt route but was persuaded to bring Noddy to make use of this easy cycling road up the Glen, which turned out to be the right call in the end, just, well all will be revealed when the other TR is submitted, I am cringing at the thought :crazy: :crazy: :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Graeme D » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:27 pm

Impurists! The only acceptable way to do this hill is by walking in the 1,328 miles from the Blair Atholl side! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:12 pm

Graeme D wrote:Impurists! The only acceptable way to do this hill is by walking in the 1,328 miles from the Blair Atholl side! :lol:

The thought of that reasonably flat access Tarmac road was too tempting Graeme :lol: but don't worry there won't be any sign of Noddy at the Torridon meet :wink: :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:53 pm

Nice one Rod. Good hill and great day out :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby Beaner001 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:55 pm

Yay Noddy strikes again :lol:
You got a much better pic of Loch Loch :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Ollie and me » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:25 pm

Inspired by Noddy's adventures we decided to cycle in from Straloch to Ben Vuirich. What a treat! A lovely cycle along the glen and a fairly short ascent made this remote Corbett easily accessible. Thank you for sharing this route I would never have considered it. This is why Walk Highlands is such a great site!
Ollie and me

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland