walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.

Great walk ,a couple of observations

Great walk ,a couple of observations

Postby phamnett » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:04 pm

Route description: Kintyre Way

Date walked: 12/09/2015

Time taken: 6 days

Distance: 140 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

B&B to start in Tarbert,very sociable visit to the Islay packet,that Tennants larger will be the death of me.
Day 1 Feeling good cracked off 2 stages,looked forward to campsite at Clachan,not to be,weary first night wild camp next tp A83 in woods spooky

Wid camped in Forestry land good to get the Coffee and hipflask on the go,thank god for cuppa soups
Cambletown, no B&B available ,staff at the Royal hotel sorted me out with the backpackers hostel,would recommend,best hostel i have ever stayed at,£20 ,Tatties ,Neaps and Haggis at the Argyle hotel is a must

Just before Suthend ,stopped at a hotel for food and beverage,only a short distance to end of village,didnt bother with Caravan site as It would have meant tracking the owner down in the village,Wild camped on a nice grass verge at rear of beach,public toilets next to beach open all night,more coffe and Brandy ,great wild camping night next to sea

Last leg Machrihanish was a bit of a crueller,10hours,it took me 12 hours only stopping for usual comfort breaks and photos,a little concerned that I was chasing daylight at the end ,with that cliff edge section,could be very daunting in Winter

Refreshed at the clubhouse ,they charged my phone up and after a couple of Tennents later took last bus back to Cambletown and booked into the Cambletown backpackers

Early morning ferry back to civilisation after a hearty breakfast

Took a couple of days for the old feet to recover but overall a great experience and very sociable people,
Seals were a bonus

Pete
phamnett
Scrambler

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes