walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

In Aviemore? Want to escape the crowds? This is for you

In Aviemore? Want to escape the crowds? This is for you

Postby railton22 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:57 pm

Route description: Craigellachie, Aviemore

Date walked: 21/09/2015

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7.6 km

Ascent: 480m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked in the mahoosive carpark at the MacDonald Highland resort (pool looks impressive) and joined the path just past the children's play area and the pond at the back of it.

Going through the "under the A9" tunnel could be likened to climbing out the wardrobe in Narnia....a completely different world on the other side. No Mr Tumnus tho' and certainly no White Witch doling out Turkish Delight.

Leaving the busyness of Aviemore and the crowds behind, this little walk was a hidden gem. Paths all very well signposted and we opted to extend the WH route by following the red /orange "viewpoint" signs to the lofty viewpoint and we carried on the path to the cairn beyond.
DSC05685Craigellachie.jpg
David on Craigellachie summit. Views WOULD have been good.

DSC05687Craigellachie.jpg
Nudge and I on Craigellachie summit. Bummer about the lack of views

Birch woods full of pretty Fly Agaric fungi and the Autumnal leaves were incredibly pretty. However a promising Autumnal day of thin mists and blue skies quickly gave way to low cloud and ever increasing rain; hence the not so impressive photos at the cairn.
DSC05689Craigellachie.jpg
A rather grassy looking Loch Pulladern

The extension took the walk from 1.5 miles to 4.75 and even the bad weather didn't spoil it. Definitely one to return to.

Walked by David, Sarah and Nudge
railton22
Mountaineer

Munros:186   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:10   

Re: In Aviemore? Want to escape the crowds? This is for you

Postby Graeme D » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:30 pm

Interesting. I have toyed with the idea of taking a daunder up there anytime I have been residing in Aviemore but have usually failed to get beyond one of the many fine hostelries the place has to offer! :crazy:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: In Aviemore? Want to escape the crowds? This is for you

Postby teaandpies » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:54 pm

Graeme D wrote:Interesting. I have toyed with the idea of taking a daunder up there anytime I have been residing in Aviemore but have usually failed to get beyond one of the many fine hostelries the place has to offer! :crazy:

Ah, this was my local hill. I used to walk it all the time and anytime :lol:

night (690x389).jpg
A view at night

Miss it a lot now I think about it :(
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland