walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Perfect day on Ben Hope

Perfect day on Ben Hope

Postby Yorjick » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:05 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Hope

Date walked: 29/09/2015

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1012m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had considered walking up a local Graham, Meall Mor but with a good weather forecast, I headed for Ben Hope. My last ascent was 1 August 1994 so I was due a return visit.

I really took my time driving to the start as it was such a beautiful morning and I stopped numerous times to take photographs:

DSCF7454_resize.JPG

DSCF7476_resize.JPG

On turning off at Altnaharra into Mudale, I saw a "ROAD AHEAD CLOSED" sign. There was no indication as to why or how far down the road you could travel so I cautiously continued, still taking photographs along the way.

IMAG0190_resize.jpg

DSCF7481_resize.JPG

Eventually, I reached Alltnacaillich and saw that the problem was that a new bridge was under construction over the Allt na Caillich.

DSCF7492_resize.JPG

I was intending including Leitir Mhuisel in my route, so this was fine.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I ran the two miles up to the "Ben Hope" car park before heading up the "Tourist Route". There was a car at the car park and machinery for the construction of another bridge.

DSCF7495_resize.JPG

ten to fifteen minutes up the hill and a minibus arrived - looked like it could be a busy hill in spite of the road closure. On reaching 400m, I left the path and kept to the left, close to the cliff edge for the best views and photo opportunities. I also encountered a rather tame ptarmigan.

DSCF7508_resize.JPG

A group of senior gentlemen were just heading back down the hill as I approached the summit. I asked one of them to walk back a short distance to the summit to take my photograph. I spent three-quarters of an hour on the summit, eating a self heating meal (curried lamb) and taking numerous photographs. It really doesn't get much better than this!

DSCF7527_resize.JPG

DSCF7532_resize.JPG
Looking beyond the north ridge towards the Atlantic

DSCF7533_resize.JPG
West towards Arkle and Foinaven

DSCF7547_resize.JPG
East towards Ben Loyal

DSCF7550_resize.JPG
South towards Ben Klibreck

I started my descent down Ben Hope's south-east shoulder just as the minibus group were arriving. This diversion towards Sail Romascaig gave better views of Ben Loyal, as well as Ben Klibreck and back to the summit of Ben Hope. ​I had not charged my camera battery so I had to fall back on using the camera on my phone.

IMAG0152_resize.jpg
Looking back to the summit of Ben Hope

IMAG0153_resize.jpg
Ben Klibreck from a point at approximately 790m on the south east shoulder

IMAG0155_resize.jpg
Ben Loyal from Sail Romascaig

I headed down to join the path over the top of the crags of Leitir Mhuiseil. This was a well worth doing extension to the walk, especially on such a perfect day as this.

IMAG0160_resize.jpg
Looking down Strath More

The route leads to a spectacular waterfall.

DSCF7571_resize.JPG
Allt na Caillich waterfall

I continued to take photographs on the way home, including this buzzard which flew from fence post to fence post and occasionally dropping to the ground. It seemed very curious about me until it eventually flew away.

DSCF7586_resize.JPG
Buteo buteo
Last edited by Yorjick on Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Re: Perfect day on Ben Hope

Postby Yorjick » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:11 pm

I'm not sure why "Ben Loyal from Sail Romascaig" is duplicated at the bottom of the walk report. This is my first attempt at a report and I guess I did something wrong? I have entered the edit mode but cannot see how to remove it. Edit: This is now fixed! This walk report mirrors that on my website mountainmann.co.uk.
Last edited by Yorjick on Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:46 am

Some great photos there, love the two birds.

Its a lovely hill, and nice to do a more circular route instead of just up and down. I also recommend the north ridge.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Yorjick » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:37 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Some great photos there, love the two birds.

Its a lovely hill, and nice to do a more circular route instead of just up and down. I also recommend the north ridge.

I went up by the north ridge in '94. It seems to be referred to as a "difficult" climb. In the late 80's and early 90's, I climbed a lot and while I found the exposure exhilarating, it did not pose much of a difficulty. Now that I am older with family responsibilities, I'm not sure that I would find it so straightforward. Perhaps next time?

What I remember most of all about my previous ascent was the number of clegs as I walked from Muiseal and on past Dubh-loch na Beine to join the north ridge. I was continually hitting myself with my mapcase. I must have looked totally demented. Glad to say there were no clegs this time, just a few midges at Alltnacaillich.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland