walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a' Bheithir

Beinn a' Bheithir

Postby David Lyall » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:59 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 05/07/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1326m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sgorr Dhearg from Ballachuilish.jpg
Set of from car park at Ballachuilish tourist information and headed up through the village with some nice views of Sgorr Dhearg just clear of cloud, this was a good start as the forecast was not good.
Once past the school it was up through the boggy field and the very steep grassy slope turning to heather quite far up before I found the path which made life a lot easier. Weather poor by now wet and windy I struggled on and eventual reach Sgorr Bhan, foolishly thinking it was Sgorr Dhearg, rain went off had a bite to eat, realized I still had to reach Sgorr Dhearg. Set of along the ridge and soon reached the summit, the wind was picking up so did not hang around and headed for the second summit.
Sgorr Dhearg summit.jpg

Weather improved and the walk down to the bealach was pleasant enough, heading up towards Sgorr Dhonuill had its moments with the clouds swirling around, no view from the top had a quick break then headed down to the bealach,
Summit of Sgorr Dhonuill.jpg
then down staying close to the old fence post not a nice path very boggy and wet in places, I found it easy to find the new path in the woods from where the path improved greatly. Followed the paths back to the car park, I did not enjoy the walk back to Ballachuilish a good 3-4 miles. Next time I do this walk I will try for better weather and start from the forest car park.
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Re: Beinn a' Bheithir

Postby monty » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:53 pm

Well done David,
Its pretty crappy when the weather is against you. Not to worry though that's another two bagged. :D Long walkouts seem to be a feature on my walks lately. Better get used to it :lol:
monty

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:29 pm

Sorry, gotta have chuckle at this report - especially compared to my recent excursion on this mountain ;) - http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5446

Well done on doing the longer route anyway :)
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:03 am

Must have been windy - blew your hat off! :lol: It is boggy down from the col to the forest isn't it! It must be a bad bog if it's like that this year...
mountain coward

Postby David Lyall » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks guys, can't complain to much I have mostly good weather this year
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:28 pm

Well done David for sticking to the task. I've had my eye on these two for a while but if they're that boggy, I might give them a miss for a bit longer. Had enough run-ins with bogs recently. :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland