walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Introducing the family to Snowdon

Introducing the family to Snowdon

Postby martin.h » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:59 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa

Date walked: 26/09/2015

Time taken: 6

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 909m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was one of those rare visits to North Wales, why they are few and far between escapes me, after all, with the roads being as good as they are its only a two hour drive from home to Snowdonia so more visits are on the cards now.

On this trip we had son Richard with us and we were to meet up with my brother Russell his wife Lesley and their two lads Cameron 13 and Rory 10, and to keep us company my sister Andrea and husband Paul were joining us too. This was the first time they’d been up a mountain so I was nominated leader. We all booked rooms at the Bangor Travelodge and agreed to meet Saturday am.

Snowdon from Rhyd-Ddu via the south ridge and returning along the Rhyd-Ddu path was the chosen route because its quieter than the normal routes and it would be a wee bit more interesting for the lads and the others who hadn’t been to the top before.

Saturday dawned with blue skies not a breath of wind and warm, perfect, we set off for Rhyd-Ddu and got parked in the car park by the Welsh Highland railway in good time and after a short while getting everyone ready we were off .
ImageDSC01154 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Pre walk preps.

ImageDSC01155 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Car park views.

From the car park we crossed the railway

ImageDSC01156 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Over the railway, the walk begins, happy people. Top row: Lesley, Russell, Richard, Bottom Row : Rory, Paul, Andrea, Cameron and Denise.

ImageDSC01158 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. The views were great, weather fantastic.

ImageDSC01159 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr.

ImageDSC01160 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC01162 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr.

ImageDSC01163 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr.

ImageDSC01164 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr.

it’s a nice steady walk to Bwlch-Cwm Llan, the col between Snowdon and Yr Aran, there were reminders of the mining from many years ago.

ImageDSC01166 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Andrea surveying the remains of the mining.

ImageDSC01167 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr.Miners views.

ImageDSC01168 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr.

ImageDSC01171 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr.

ImageDSC01174 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Great views to have on a work day.

From there we turned left up the start of the south ridge on a good path which suited everybody,

ImageDSC01181 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Looking up the south ridge.

ImageDSC01182 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr.The remains of the intensive mining in the area.

ImageDSC01184 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Rory inspecting his new "des res".

ImageDSC01186 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. The walk up begins.
ImageDSC01188 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr
ImageDSC01191 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr.
ImageDSC01193 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Yr Aran.

ImageDSC01194 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Lovely views.

The boys were getting a bit tired at this point but as soon as they saw a bit of interesting terrain above they soon forgot that and started scurrying ahead really enjoying their new experience.

ImageDSC01196 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Interesting terrain ahead.

ImageDSC01198 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Andrea and Paul getting to grips.

ImageDSC01202 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Action shots.
ImageDSC01204 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr.

ImageDSC01203 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Thats where we're going.

The views were really good, it’s a part of Wales I’d never been to before and it reminded me a bit of the Lakes and the Southern uplands and the higher we got the narrower the ridge became.

ImageDSC01246 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. South Ridge.

ImageDSC01212 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr.
ImageDSC01214 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Paul people watching.

Soon the summit came into full view and I got a bit of a shock as to how busy and crowded it was, I suppose it’s the little train that goes up from Llanberis and the café on top that adds to Snowdons popularity but, wow, I’ve never seen a mountain summit so populated.

ImageDSC01216 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Busy mountain.
ImageDSC01219 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr.
ImageDSC01221 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr.

Around the summit area we managed to find a little spot to sit down and have lunch and we managed to get brilliant views over the Snowdon Horseshoe which added to the great weather, looking over to Crib Goch and Y Lliwedd it reminded me a bit of Scotland.
ImageDSC01225 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Lunch time views.

ImageDSC01226 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC01227 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC01234 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Crib Goch.

ImageDSC01245 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Top of the Pyg Track.

After lunch and a relax in the sun we all started our descent and headed for the top of the Rhyd-ddu path, there were still lots of people heading up taking advantage of the glorious weather.

ImageDSC01248 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Looking back at the summit from the Rhyd-Ddu path.

ImageDSC01249 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Descent views.

ImageDSC01251 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr
ImageDSC01252 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC01255 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr. Little train from Llanberis on its way down.
ImageDSC01256 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr
ImageDSC01259 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr
ImageDSC01254 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

It was great to see all in our little group enjoying the experience, its something we’d talked about doing together for a while and now we were out there the whole thing was working out perfectly so with that in mind we started planning our next trip.

Our walk back down to Rhyd-Ddu was nice and relaxed, it was different for Denise and I to be out as a group and it was well worth it. Its nice to get the family involved and now we're planning another trip soon, not sure where yet, but Snowdonia will be high on the agenda.
Last edited by martin.h on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: Introducing the family to Snowdon

Postby ChrisW » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:10 pm

Great to see an extended family meeting up for a hill excursion and what a way to hook new hikers than beautiful weather over stunning scenery. If you're not careful Martin they'll be wanting to come along every time and you'll have to start making excuses to get rid of em :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland