walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh

Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh

Postby kmai1961 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:58 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Liath Mhòr, Sgòrr Ruadh

Date walked: 02/10/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 18.25 km

Ascent: 1182m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Start 11:00; first 14:00; second 16:00; back to car 19:00

The original Friday plan was Fionn Bheinn with a 10:30 start. I arrived in Achnasheen somewhere between 9:30 and 10:00, to find Jimmy already there. We decided that if we stuck to the original plan, and it really only took 3–4 hours per the C. McNeish book that Jimmy was referring to, we’d likely be back by around 2–3pm, and end up sitting in the bunkhouse looking for ways to fill the hours. If we hoofed it, though, we’d have enough daylight to tackle the more ambitious Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh route instead, which we had had pencilled in for Sat. Sgorr Ruadh was a repeat for me, having initially climbed it on a sparkling Easter Sunday this past April. Skies were fairly clear as we headed up toward junction near the river crossing (which had left me with water-filled boots early in the day last time). Eschewing the river for the time being, we headed up toward Beinn Liath Mhor. The ascent was steep, so we gained height quickly, and bade a sad farewell to the view. Unbeknownst to us at the time, that farewell was to be for most of the rest of the day.

bye-bye view

summit -- Beinn Liath Mhor

The ridge across to the summit of Beinn Liath Mhor was fairly narrow in places, with significant drops on either side, but I found it rather enjoyable. I’d like to think that it wasn’t just because I couldn’t see much – I could certainly see enough to know about the drops! I was sorely disappointed to not be able to see, in all their glory, the Torridon giants, and the rest of the Achneshellach hills that were “out there somewhere.” We stopped briefly at the summit of BLM, but neither the temp nor the lack of view was conducive to hanging around for long. We dropped down to the bealach, briefly picked up the Coire Lair stalkers’ path, and headed up the grassy slope toward Sgorr Ruadh.

lochan at the bealach

summit -- Sgorr Ruadh (seriously, we could be anywhere, couldn't we?)

Another brief stop at that summit for a drink and a couple of selfies, and then we headed down toward the Loch a’ Bealach Mhor, which lies between SR and Fuar Tholl. We traversed across to pick up the very clear path leading to the River Lair. I fell over (which is becoming as much a part of my blog entries as timings, summit selfies, and weather commentary :roll: ). The river level was very low this time around. Not too far from the rail crossing / start point, we met a man who was camping; he was the only other person we saw all day.

a wee glimpse back up over much of the days' route

We returned to my car to find that the bolt through the hinge that holds the back gate/door to the “car proper” has sheared completely through, leaving the door hanging on via only a rusty spring. Jimmy was able to lift it back into place (SO glad I wasn’t on my own!!), and shut it, but it meant not opening the back for the rest of the weekend, which made for awkwardness in loading and unloading. After admitting that the door hasn't really been closing properly for weeks, I did get a bit of a lecture (thanks, Dad! :wink: ) about ignoring small problems that tend to turn into bigger problems.

Off to the bunkhouse (at Ledgowan Lodge) to explain complicated sleeping arrangements, to have some dinner and beer, and to make a plan for Saturday.
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:94   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland