walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beautiful wee Buchaille

Beautiful wee Buchaille

Postby 2manyYorkies » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:24 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 01/10/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9.7 km

Ascent: 1000m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

October 1st, autumn is here, mists, mellow fruits and Factor 30. Yes. another fine day of this Indian summer.
Today was supposed to be a more restful day following two hefty days and six Munros, but in the law of the mountain walker it surely must be a criminal offence to waste such glorious weather moping about in the glens, so up high it had to be. With a token gesture to an "easier" day, I chose Buchaille Etive Beag, a 30 minute drive across Rannoch Moor, and a shortish walk on good paths.
The drive itself was a pleasure, plenty to admire:
Inversion over Loch Tulla

Moonshine on Creise .... (apologies..)

Big Buchaille and moon

The car park was nearly empty and luckily in shade, as was the major part of the ascent, fortune smiles again. :lol: :lol:
The ascent path to the bealach is excellent, divided roughly into three sections of steady, steep and steady again, and I got to the bealach one hour after leaving.

Looking back to Aonach Eagach

First views down Glen Etive ...

I took a right turn and headed up to Stob Dubh, the southern summit, then followed the advice to go further on to the far cairn, for the best views down Etive.

Fine views abounded, plenty of those mountain "ta-da!" moments when you get over a rise, or turn a corner and get a new spectacular view.

Bidean...

Back north to Stob Coire Raineach

The Big Buchaille ..

Turning round, it was a straightforward traipse back to the bealach and then on up onto Stob Coire Raineach.

From this point I was surprised to see an inversion over Loch Leven, even in this week of inversions...

The big fella..

One point to note, the descent of the second summit seemed to have many variant choices, with some steepish scree paths over to the right; best to keep left back to the bealach, from where its a quick jaunt to the car park.
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Re: Beautiful wee Buchaille

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:01 pm

Great photo's, especially the Big Buchaille with the moon! :clap:

Looking forward to doing the wee Buchaille at some point, looks to be fairly straightforward with some amazing views down Glen Etive, cheers! :D
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby SecretSquirrel » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:06 am

Wow ... what a cracking day you had. Blue Skies and inversions, you couldn't ask for better. Fabulous photographs too! Love the inversion over Loch Leven. :clap:

I agree about the paths heading right on the descent of Stob Coire Raineach. On the way down I was coming across well defined paths I hadn't noticed on the ascent, but they did seem to head for fairly steep ground. Like you, I kept left and retraced my steps back to the bealach.
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby simon-b » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:44 pm

It is a little beauty of a mountain, 2mY.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Silverhill » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:51 pm

Another day with great views for you and more inversions! 8) I love the pictures. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland