walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Inversion frenzy on Ben Lui Four from Dalrigh

Inversion frenzy on Ben Lui Four from Dalrigh

Postby 2manyYorkies » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:55 pm

Route description: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Lui, Ben Oss

Date walked: 02/10/2015

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 27.8 km

Ascent: 2147m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was to be the grand finale to four fantastic days walking in this glorious early autumn. I knew it was going to be some undertaking for an old plodder to get through this, and the shortening daylight hours would also be a factor.
Nevertheless I managed to get away from Dalrigh at 8:15, heading down Glen Cononish for the long walk in, and the early views were promising...

Caledonian forest below Beinn Dubhchraig - some long hours before I'd be descending through there!

Getting better all the time...!

Ben Oss coming into the game (on left)

The real challenge was trying to take photographs without the puke green buildings of Cononish farm getting in the way ... must have been having a migraine when they chose that colour.
The track after Cononish farm leading up to Ben Lui. Started to feel really remote and alone here. After a boggy crossing of the burn, the path follows the Alt Coire Gaothaich burn, clearly seen going up left to right before coming over the lip of the Coire Gaothach.

Once into the Coire Gaothach, a decision needs to be made: carry on up the path to join the north-west ridge of Ben Lui high up

or clamber sweatily up grassy slope to the west to join the ridge lower down, and I took the second option...

The path from the coire joins the ridge along here, and then things get a bit more interesting ..

Back down the ridge:

The cloud was keeping to the western and southern slopes, I picked the right side to ascend. Great views all around...
Ben More, Stob Binnein, Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Oss..

Ben Lui summit ... finally

Mr Plod from Plodsville on the annual Plodpast on St Plod's day ...

Back down to Coire Gaothach:

At the summit I met three lads from Liverpool who'd come up from the other side, and again on the descent off Beinn a'Chleibh, a busy day for me on this trip. Sadly, the cloud was high on the southern slopes and the descent into it off Lui was a bit depressing after three and a half hours of sunshine. The cloud layer was relatively thin, and the bealach, thousand feet below the summit of Lui, was free of mist.
Ascent to Beinn a'Chleib..

The summit of the second Munro was murky and deserted apart from a solitary raven ..

And now for the tricky bit... I hadn't been looking forward to the traverse of the southern slopes of Ben Lui. Pathless, angled and needing concentration to maintain a level contour and intact ankles...

Nestling underneath the cloud, the ground ahead was largely featureless and it was a good 35-40 minutes before I came out above the bealach between Bens Lui and Oss. But I came out into sunshine ...!!

Ascent to Ben Oss...

The traverse and ascent to Ben Oss were the low points of the day for me, not visually, just in terms of fatigue and self-doubt. It was also getting a bit nippy with a brisk wind, something I'd been fortunate to avoid most of the week. As well as that, the route was essentially pathless, certainly on the traverse, but also on the ascent of Ben Oss, vague tracks came and went, but nothing substantial and useful materialised. Eventually, below the summit of Ben Oss I took shelter, ate and rested for 20 minutes or so, and rose like a phoenix from the flames (if phoenix's thrive on the Boss's flapjack), refreshed and in much better mood.
The summit of Ben Oss was rapidly conquered and from then on the path was good.
Ben Lui from Ben Oss summit cairn:

East to Beinn Dubhchraig and Loch Oss down below...

The route ahead to Beinn Dubhchraig ...

From here on there was a decent path, a tad muddy in places, but a clear route down to the bealach, via a minor top, and then the last ascent to Beinn Dubhchraig.
Loch Oss and Loch Lomond in distance, from bealach...

And then. one of those moments of deep satisfaction at the end of a tough day, the gentle final ascent to the summit of Beinn Dubhchraig. The wind had dropped, pleasant sunshine warmed my back, I was roughly back on schedule to get down before sunset, all seemed good with the world.

The summit of Beinn Dubhchraig, looking back to Ben Oss

Tracking back 300-400 metre from the summit, a cairn marked the top of the descent path, with a much taller cairn a few yards further down the slope. The path follows the Allt Coire Dubhchraig burn, all the way down the hill, eventually through the beautiful Caledonian forest, before a crossing of the Allt Gleann Auchreoch river, easily forded. It's a relentless descent, a mixture of textures underfoot from decent path through mud and deeply unpleasant bog. None of it is that bad though, and the beauty of the forest and the waterfalls makes for a stunning end to the day, even in what was rapidly fading light.
Path down by the burn:

Through Caledonian forest, a long time from those early morning views...

Ben Challum peering through...

Once across the river - nice and low from the dry conditions, easily forded (just as well as all thats left of the bridge are two dodgy looking rails) - it's a straightforward path across the railway and back to the car park.
'Twas a big day for a little fella, but worth every step. Ben Lui has a very special place in my memory for it's lofty airiness, amidst those stunning inversions. Felt very fortunate and privileged. :clap: :clap:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Re: Inversion frenzy on Ben Lui Four from Dalrigh

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:07 pm

Grand photos :clap: :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:58 pm

takes your breath away :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby roscoT » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:12 pm

Brilliant report and pictures, well done :clap:

Was actually hoping to do this route myself as a crescendo to the season before the white stuff come in, fingers crossed we get another day like you had! :wink:
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:33
Fionas:20   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:5   Islands:15

Postby grumpy old bagger » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:19 pm

Fabulous photos and a wonderful day!

I got as far as Beinn Dubhchraig the other day, and no further - really good to see pictures of what I should have been looking at! :clap:
grumpy old bagger
Hill Bagger

Munros:21   Corbetts:9
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:8   
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:14 am

Wow! If the day was even half as good as the pics indicate, it must have been an absolutely brilliant day! Awesome. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:25 am

Amazing, looks like you had a great day for it too. I'm thinking about doing these 4 this week but I've been worrying about having enough daylight. Looks like I might be ok though :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby litljortindan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:22 pm

Some wonderful inversion photos.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland