walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Suilven

Suilven

Postby Penguin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:57 am

Route description: Suilven

Fionas included on this walk: Suilven

Date walked: 23/03/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Five of us headed up to northern Scotland to emark climbing this superlative mountain.

Having stayed in Suileag bothy overnight, we awoke early to the smell of fresh mountain air on a new day. Or did we wake up early because no-one was really sleeping due to the howling gale and rattling tin roof that was bouncing all night...! :?

Either way, we packed up out kit and left it in the bothy, before we travelled light up onto Suilven. We picked our way along the winding path, then over and around several boggy areas before we found ourselves standing at the foot of the slope of this impressive beast.

What followed developed into an all out scramble up the gully onto Suilven. Several sphincter twitching modes were experienced by some as we ascended at a variety of speeds. However, the views on top were breathtakingly superlatively tremendous. Possibly some of the best views I've ever experienced, combined with snow showers, sleet, brilliant sunshine and blustery conditions rolling around the mountain.

The descend down and back to the overnight carpark was a retrace of our route earlier and the previous day as we collected our overnight kit from the bothy.

Overall, it was an amazing 24 hours and would I do it all again? You bet! The opportunity and experience of walking in a remote area like this is truely rewarding.

Penguin
8)
Attachments
Pengy - Scotland 03-09 028.JPG
Summit view
Last edited by Penguin on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Penguin
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Suilven

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:02 pm

It was a brave month to do all that :D I can imagine I'd have been one of those with the bum-clenching going on on the way up - it looks very scary to me... not sure if I'll ever do it but enjoyed reading your report :D
mountain coward

Postby murphy999 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Excellent, well done! This mountain is on my list for this winter, and so is that bothy! Is it nice enough inside, long walk in?
murphy999
Stravaiging

Munros:57   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Penguin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:04 pm

Thanks for your comments. Nice to know that my ramblings are read and enjoyed :D

mountain coward - if you ever get the opportunity to go, then you must! It's well worth it.

murphy999 - I forget exactly how long it took to walk from the carpark to the bothy, but it wasn't too far. If memory serves, it was around about 2 hours, if that. We were carrying food, wood etc, for the bothy as well as our own sleeping gear etc, so we didn't want to be walking too far. But it certainly wasn't excessive distance or time and the path is good. The bothy itself is good. We used the room on the left as you walked in. There was a large wooden bench to sleep/sit on, fire, and a small table. Perfectly adequate for our needs.
Although I went in March, I'd love to go again in winter, it'll be fantastic! Hope you have a good trip there - I'm jealous!

Penguin
8)
Penguin
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:32   

Postby murphy999 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:07 pm

Cheers Penguin!
murphy999
Stravaiging

Munros:57   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:35 pm

Nice one Penguin. Clearly an epic time was had by all. :D
Graeme D

Munros:250   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland