walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr nan Gillean

Sgurr nan Gillean

Postby Penguin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:41 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Alasdair

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Alasdair

Date walked: 08/07/1997

Time taken: 6 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having been brought up on a diet of Lakeland hills, my first forray into Scotland and introduction to Scottish rock was a welcome I'll not forget.

There was a large group of us that set off on a fine summers day. We left the hotel, crossed the bridge and were soon ambling over rocks and boulders as we ascended up onto the Cullins. As we reached the col, our large group halves into those who wanted to stop, and those who wanted to continue. Up until this point, I'd been quite happy climbing at a steady pace, enjoying the fine views, and having a good laugh with my companions. I'd been blissfully unaware of what lay before me, or what to expect.

Maybe when Ludvig took the climbing rope out of his rucksac, I should have developed a note of caution. But no. On I went unfazed and undaunted by the climb. After all, I could see the summit, and the rocks between me and the summit. It looked fairly straight forward. Even as the route became narrower and more climbing than scrambling was required, I should have become more cautious. That point was reached, when as I manipulated my way around a large rock, I became aware of the 3,000 ft drop that lay beneath my feet. Whilst the views of the Cullins were spectacular, I felt that the potential to slip and experience the gravitational pull of a 3,000ft, was outweighing the enjoyment of the view at that point. With a combination of grit, grip, and determination, I ensure that at least 3 of my limbs were attached to the rock as I took a direct route to the summit. Now I realised why Ludvig had the ropes...

Whilst I remember being on the narrow platform of the summit, it wasn't until a few years later when I was shown photographic proof, that I actually realised that I had managed to stand up as well.

The descent was spectacular. Mainly for the views and they way the clouds rolled in and the rain poured, and poured, and poured. The path along Glen Sligachan was swallowed up by the engorged River Sligachan, into which we partly walked through and crossed.

However, we all safely made it to the sanctury of the hotel and, although totally saturated, partook some well deserved refreshments.

My first experience of Scottish mountains and munro's has ensured that I endeavour to return north of the border for more visits, walks, and climbs. The next visit can never come soon enough.

Penguin
8)
Last edited by Penguin on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penguin
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Sgurr nan Gillean

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:46 pm

Eeek! What an awful summit to start Munroing with!!! :o Well done - no idea how I'd ever get up it
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland