walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Slippery When Wet

Slippery When Wet

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:53 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Gillean

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Gillean

Date walked: 09/10/2015

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 985m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another trip to Skye that saw my Munro bagging plans scuppered by the weather :( :( :(

The back up plan was to do some hills in Kintail but my trusty companion/ guide/ bum shover and therapist suggested that we try for the northern 3 Cuillins and adjust our plans according to the conditions.

And jings what conditions they were!!!!! Rain, rain and more rain!!!!

And so it was up to the lochan, harness and helmet on while Ron got mega tooled for the job of hauling my carcass up the tourist path and onto the summit of Sgurr nan Gillean. Like most of the summits on the ridge it was a massive let down. Needless to say the views were nil. The rain was very heavy and my camera/phone was staying firmly in my pocket. A short abseil down a small slippery section onto the west ridge and then a longer more enjoyable abseil down one of the chimneys. The weather was even worse than before and so we decided that we will call it a day.

The walk back was easy enough but many of the paths had disappeared under almost a foot of water. The burns had now burst their banks and we had a rather swimtastic time getting back to the car.

Although my feet were now doing laps in my boots my good old Paramo jacket kept my top half perfectly dry- truly superb!

A quick change of clothes back at the car and then a wee hurl down the hill to the Slig for dinner. The walkers' bar is now closed for the season but we were made welcome in the main hotel dining room and the food was smashing as ever. And then it was a short drive to our top notch accommodation in Uig.

A zillion thanks to Ron for going to all the trouble of getting me up such a tricky hill- I owe you so much!!!!
s1.jpg
s2.jpg
s3.jpg
s4.jpg
s5.jpg
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland