walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall nam Maigheach a very simple fill In Corbett

Meall nam Maigheach a very simple fill In Corbett

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:28 am

Route description: Meall nam Maigheach

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall nam Maigheach

Date walked: 09/10/2015

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 5.49 km

Ascent: 316m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was to be passing here on my way to the excellent value Pine Trees campsite at Tyndrum and had sufficient time to add to my Corbett tally. I passed the Ben Lawers Carpark followed by Lochan na Larige and the prominent cairn to find a parking spot just around the corner, turned the car around ready to head off towards Killin. The proper and most used parking area is further on opposite a stone ruin and a green painted shed (RECOMMENDED).
Knowing that I was going to have to climb NW until I came across a stone dyke and that there may be a lot of boggy ground en route I fitted my gaiters, which turned out to be the right thing until I reached the stone dyke which I was to follow to the summit cairn.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
One thing for sure there was not going to be many photographs to day the low cloud was just hanging there. Looking back where I parked the car
2.JPG
After anout twenty minutes I found a couple of guys heading down from the summit on there wat to Meall a Choire Leith
3.JPG
The first sign of the stone dyke as described in Walkhighlands
4.JPG
There a signs of a path along the East side and certainly the underfoot conditions are an improvement, no peat bog jumping, much easier, this was the way I would be coming down off the hill
5.JPG
A wee break in the cloud when I reached the summit cairn, view over to the South shoulder of Meall a Choire Leith
6.JPG
After finding the stone dyke I continued down towards the road
7.JPG
Can you see the spider on the stone dyke?
8.JPG
At this point I headed East towards the burn and bridge
9.JPG
The recommended starting route from the stone building and green shed. This would probably save you aboutfifteen minutes and also putting on your gaiters
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland