walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Galmadale a Spectacular but Hard horseshoe round

Glen Galmadale a Spectacular but Hard horseshoe round

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:54 pm

Route description: Creach Bheinn & Fuar Bheinn: Galmadale round

Corbetts included on this walk: Creach Bheinn (Morvern), Fuar Bheinn

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na Cille

Date walked: 10/10/2015

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 1509m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mountain Thyme had long wanted to do these hills and after I had read up on them on Walkhighlands had also thought that a good day lay ahead and was looking forward to it immensely. With fellow walkhighlander Iain Watson joining us fingers were crossed that the low cloud of the previous day was going to lift and that some fine views were going to be on offer once we had climbed up to the summit ridge.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Mountain Thyme and Iain at the car parking area to the East of the bridge at Galmadale
2.JPG
Heading along the road where we can see the access point of the climb to the Graham Beinn na Cille 652m. It already looks pretty steep, up along the side of the tree plantation on the left
3.JPG
Hard going on the dried up rocky burn bed which is totally overgrown with brambles and totally overgrown with ferns and the like, definitely TICK country
4.JPG
Looking back down to the roadside. After a short spell we cut off out of the burn bed towards the fenceline next to the trees where there were less brambles which made the going slightly easier
5a.JPG
Clear of the tree line, a good brush down of the outer garments ensured not too many Ticks were clinging on. After the tree line if anything the gradient got steeper with small outcrops to be negotiated
6.JPG
A pose with Loch Linnhe in the background and also the ridge we were to descend from
7.JPG
Many false summits to be climbed before arriving at the Graham
8.JPG
Time for some photographs to be taken in all the three of us must have taken about 300
9.JPG
Not far to go to the first summit of the day Beinn na Cille
10.JPG
Two guys who we had overtaken earlier as they had tried to continue up the dried up burn bed. A quick word a snack and of course a group photograph at the summit cairn
11.JPG
Happy Days the cloud is lifting clearing the tops
12.JPG
Looking towards the two Corbetts to be climbed Fuar Bheinn 766, Creach Bheinn and also on the right Maol Odhar
13.JPG
Looking back to the Graham where we had come
14.JPG
Funnily Mountain Thyme and I have matching walking poles (private joke)
14a.JPG
Iain coming over the horizon
15.JPG
At the summit cairn of Fuar Bheinn with Mountain Thyme playing with her monkey again. Garbh Bheinn another Corbett in the far distance, to be done on another day, but with Creach Bheinn to be climbed later
16.JPG
View from the summit looking at from L to R Garbh Bheinn, Ben Nevis the Ballachulish hills and the Pap of Glen Coe
17.JPG
Summit of Creach Bheinn 853m where there are remains of a Neolithic camp
18.JPG
Heading off from the summit to find more remains of the Neolithic camp as shown on OS maps
19.JPG
Stone walls
20.JPG
Heading down to the beallach between Creach Bheinn and Maol Odhar
21.JPG
Summit cairn of Maol Odhar 794m with Garbh Bheinn to the right of the cairn which has remains of an American aircraft which exploded in mid air above the hill
22.JPG
Heading down the grassy slopes of Maol Odhar towards Meall nan Each 591m
23.JPG
Iain enjoying the views of Loch Linnhe from near the summit of Meall nan Each
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Glen Galmadale a Spectacular but Hard horseshoe round

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:06 pm

24.JPG
Beaten to the summit of Meall nan Each by the crows
25.JPG
View over Loch Linnhe towards Ballachulish
26.JPG
Heading down along the summit ridge
27.JPG
and again, it's a long ridge
28.JPG
Looking up Glen Galmadale
29.JPG
Nearly at the end of the ridge
30.JPG
The car in sight after a long hard and superb day on the hill, highly recommended!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:30 pm

A craicing horseshoe and one of my locals :D

You had a good day for it right enough ,that ruins is a "Colby Camp" used in the 1840's for surveying here is a wee link to their purpose.

http://www.charlesclosesociety.org/files/Issue90page18.pdf

Some of the best ,quietest hills in this area you 'll enjoy Garbh Bheinn ,mind and pick a good day again :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby iainwatson » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:21 pm

good report on a great walk :D Mountain Thyme must have good taste in walking poles if she has the same one :lol: great walk,great company and great weather,loved it
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Silverhill » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:14 pm

That initial climb up through the overgrowth looked horrible. But the views over Loch Linnhe must have been very rewarding. Loved the pictures. Seems like the weather was very quiet, judging by the flat water reflecting the hills. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:11 pm

Collaciotach wrote:A craicing horseshoe and one of my locals :D

You had a good day for it right enough ,that ruins is a "Colby Camp" used in the 1840's for surveying here is a wee link to their purpose.

http://www.charlesclosesociety.org/files/Issue90page18.pdf

Some of the best ,quietest hills in this area you 'll enjoy Garbh Bheinn ,mind and pick a good day again :wink:

Hi Collaciotach, your very lucky living in an area with these superb hills, height is certainly not everything :D I'm looking forward to going back again soon with Garbh Bheinn very high on my list :wink:
Many thanks for the info on the Colby Camp, I new nothing about it, I will now check it out :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:12 pm

iainwatson wrote:good report on a great walk :D Mountain Thyme must have good taste in walking poles if she has the same one :lol: great walk,great company and great weather,loved it

Superb day all round and as you say company and weather, what could be better :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:14 pm

Silverhill wrote:That initial climb up through the overgrowth looked horrible. But the views over Loch Linnhe must have been very rewarding. Loved the pictures. Seems like the weather was very quiet, judging by the flat water reflecting the hills. :D

Silverhill I thought I was reasonably fit, but I was pouring in sweat on that first climb :lol: :lol: But as you say very worth the effort once you had gained the ridge, views were superb :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby BoyVertiginous » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:16 am

Grand pictures there of a fine round. I took one look up that ferny bank, decided against it and walked up the glen to the dam to do the others .... Beinn na Cille now taunts me from afar. We're in the area this week so there's a chance but may go up from the South/SW.

:clap:
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:05 am

[quote="BoyVertiginous"]Grand pictures there of a fine round. I took one look up that ferny bank, decided against it and walked up the glen to the dam to do the others .... Beinn na Cille now taunts me from afar. We're in the area this week so there's a chance but may go up from the South/SW.

:clap:[/qu

Suggest you pick a fine clear day and it will be well worth the effort of the initial climb, beware all the false tops :( Once you get there hang about and enjoy, superb stuff. Remember to brush off any ticks that might have clung onto you on the way up :crazy: :crazy: I found another three when I got home :crazy: :( Lucky you being in the area, so many wonderful climbs nearby :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:22 am

Last year in early October, when we climbed Beinn a'Bheith, I took quite a few photos of this group of hills across Loch Linnhe, I expected them to be a superb route. The initial climb looks... hmmm... a bit intimidating :lol: but these views are well worth it. Fantastic day you had!

Out of curiosity, I checked Corbett and Graham guides and both books give the very same route up, so I guess there is no way to avoid the steep slog.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Chris Mac » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:33 am

Nice one, glad you got a nice day for it and you've got some cracking photos there! Looks like a fun walk.

It's also good seeing others taking Iain away from the Munros to do some Corbetts... :wink: :lol:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:53 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Last year in early October, when we climbed Beinn a'Bheith, I took quite a few photos of this group of hills across Loch Linnhe, I expected them to be a superb route. The initial climb looks... hmmm... a bit intimidating :lol: but these views are well worth it. Fantastic day you had!

Out of curiosity, I checked Corbett and Graham guides and both books give the very same route up, so I guess there is no way to avoid the steep slog.

A highly recommended route there BP, pity about the initial ascent, tough going, maybe a walk for earlier in the year when the undergrowth has not had enough time to get established. Interesting both books suggest this way, funnily enough i cannot remember the initial climb being mentioned too much in other WH trip reports, I must re-check them :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:56 pm

Chris Mac wrote:Nice one, glad you got a nice day for it and you've got some cracking photos there! Looks like a fun walk.

It's also good seeing others taking Iain away from the Munros to do some Corbetts... :wink: :lol:

Great day out, even better when the weather is much better than the forecast :D I think Iain will be back into Ardgour soon, think he was quite taken with the ruggedness of the area :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:45 pm

Good report there Rod. Hard going climbing up that graham :(
Great day out with good company :D Cheers guys
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland