walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Wyvis

Ben Wyvis

Postby NevJB » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:09 pm

Route description: Ben Wyvis, near Garve

Munros included on this walk: Ben Wyvis

Date walked: 30/06/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 935m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkers: Nev, Neill, Martin

Took Dan to Inverness for the 7.55 to Kings Cross and then back to the cottage and a welcoming bowl of porridge.

Was shaping up to be a warm, pleasant day – we didn’t fancy an epic so settled for Ben Wyvis. Although the hill is imposing it is not in the inspiring league; but I had read that owing to its relative isolation the views from the top [on a good day] were worth the climb.

Was warm walking through the forestry and we hoped for a breeze as we got to the foot of An Cabar – wish granted.

Martin_Neill_An-Cabar.jpg

I’m not overly keen on made-up paths, but understand the need on routes that are heavily used. It made the going easy. The ‘staircase’ section made the steep sections straight forward if a little hard on the legs.

Saw some Ptarmigan – still some of their winter plumage remaining - they were not quite as keen on posing as the Dotterel we saw the day before.

Ptarmigan-on-An-Cabar.jpg

The RAF dropped by below us through Bealach Mor to shatter the quiet. For a moment only. I’m sure they have a great time weaving through the glens.

We were soon approaching the first top and saw a pair of Ravens near the top of An Cabar – time to stop for a bit and have some lunch.

Martin_Neill_An-Cabar_NW-to-Beinn-Dearg.jpg

Towards-Carn-a'-Chaiptein-from-An-Cabar.jpg

Then on to the top – wonderful walking – almost on air. It’s as if someone came up to mow the grass – you could have a game of cricket up here, although boundaries could be problematic. At the top – wonderful views, although we could see the forerunner of tomorrow’s wet weather on the way. More pics and food and then on our way down.

Neill_Martin-on-Glas-Leathad-Mor.jpg

The-Fannichs-from-Glas-Leathad-Mor.jpg

I was not looking forward to going down as long, steep, knee-jarring descents have played havoc with my legs in the past (Aonach Eagach and Sgurr a’Mhaim). But, to my surprise my little flatland pins held up well and we were walking out through the forestry in no time.

Total time around 6¼hours with about 30 mins for stops.
Last edited by NevJB on Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NevJB
Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:13   

Re: Ben Wyvis

Postby monty » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:35 pm

Nice report Nevjb. Looks like one of the easier munros being a big lump more akin to the hills in the Cairngorms. Unlike its neighbours to the West. Lends itself well to a fast jog. :D
monty

Postby walk aboot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Nice report (see what you mean about the views from the top 8) ).

I've been set to do this hill a few times, either visiting my brother in Inverness or heading up with friends, but still haven't managed it! (Roads were closed over the Xmas break when I was due to go with mates, and my brother is moving again :? ).

One day...
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:31 am

Looks a beautiful hill - can't wait to do it... the knee-jarring is the mountain's revenge for people who don't walk the whole ridge and come down over Tom a' Choinnich though :D
mountain coward

Postby NevJB » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:14 pm

mountain coward wrote:... the knee-jarring is the mountain's revenge for people who don't walk the whole ridge and come down over Tom a' Choinnich though :D

I know, I know, MC. We took easy option as an ice-cold Peroni (or 3) was calling me - I could hear it in the wind all the from Beauly - really :D :D :D
NevJB
Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:13   

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:07 pm

Excuses, excuses! :lol:
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland