walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Castle Crag to Dale Head

Castle Crag to Dale Head

Postby Salfordwhite » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:40 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Castle Crag, Cat Bells, Dale Head, High Spy, Hindscarth, Maiden Moor

Hewitts included on this walk: Dale Head, High Spy, Hindscarth

Date walked: 29/07/2015

Time taken: 7.5

Distance: 20.9 km

Ascent: 1458m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I planned the route with distance in mind. I was doing the Yorkshire 3 Peaks the following week so needed some yardage under my feet.
The plan was to start with Castle Crag. An easy climb in the early morning sun gave great views back towards Borrowdale and the surrounding hills. Even with Wainwrights blurb of positivity about this little hill it was still a surprise on reaching the top. I surprised an apologetic wild camper drying his gear. Took some snaps and headed back down the slate staircase.
Next stop Catbells. Busy on the way up. Crowded on the top and swiftly on towards Maiden Moor and away from the madding crowd. Crossing with a quick fuel stop and the easy climb up to High Spy. The views in all directions were worth the effort required.
Beyond the summit cairn of High Spy was the descent towards Dalehead Tarn and the view up to Dale Head. The legs were beginning to feel the slog of the climb as the breeze began to pick up. The views were worth the effort and I decided that, with Hindscarth in sight, I would push on.
Back up Dale Head,over the top and through the boggy land beyond the tarn that led back towards Borrowdale YH.
Salfordwhite
Walker

Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:183   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland