walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich & Stuc a' Chroin

Ben Vorlich & Stuc a' Chroin

Postby mamoset » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:09 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 13/10/2015

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1250m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Arrived at a sunny Loch Earn at 08.00 and set off, what turned out to be the wrong way!! :lol: Found a track to the west of the House and followed that until i met the main path leading up Glen Vorlich.
IMG_7620.JPG
Loch Earn.
I came to a fork in the path, and again, wrongly, took the left fork!!! :? Anyway, there is a path of sorts leading up, so i followed this, keeping Ben Vorlich in view all the time. :clap:
IMG_7627.JPG
Tree growing thru boulder.
IMG_7630.JPG
Ben Vorlich up ahead.
The views behind were starting to open up, with the Lawers group basking in sunshine.
IMG_7637.JPG
Lawers group.
It was hot going now, but even though the track wasn't the best, it was fairly easy going.
IMG_7645.JPG
Ben More & Stob Binnein.
IMG_7652.JPG
Looking East.
With about 300m to the top, i finally found the proper path, which is a bit eroded but certainly easier than the one i had been on :lol:
IMG_7653.JPG
Ben Vorlich & path.
I soon made the summit which is a trig point.
IMG_7659.JPG
Ben Vorlich summit.
Got talking to two Walkhighlander users, Joe (joedugsmith) & John. Had a chat for a while, before they headed off and i had some fuel. Was good talking to you both, and we crossed paths a couple more times over the walk to the next summit.
IMG_7660.JPG
First view of Stuc a' Chroin.
IMG_7664.JPG
East from the summit.
Refreshed, i headed down to the Bealach an Dubh Choirein. From the bealach, the noise from the rutting Red Deer was unbelievable, a constant roaring from here to the summit :shock: The ascent of Stuc can be made two ways. I decided to go for the straight up the front route, which from a distance looks daunting, but when you're up close, you can see it's not bad at all. :clap:
IMG_7678.JPG
Stuc a' Chroin up close.
IMG_7684.JPG
Looking back to Vorlich.
IMG_7686.JPG
Ben Our in shade.
It is a well defined path taking you up the front of Stuc, with no real feeling of exposure. I exited at the cairn marking Donald Stuart, and could see the summit some 500m away.
IMG_7699.JPG
Stuart cairn.
IMG_7694.JPG
Summit.
A quick amble across brought me to the summit of Stuc a' Chroin.
IMG_7701.JPG
Stuc a' Chroin summit.
There is great views all around, from Ben Lomond to the west, up to Ben Nevis and neighbours in the north.
IMG_7704.JPG
West to Ben Lomond.
IMG_7708.JPG
Ben Nevis & co.
IMG_7718.JPG
Lochan a' Chroin, with Ben Venue behind..
After another chat with Joe & John, i headed back to the bealach, to follow the path around Ben Vorlich. With hindsight, i wished i'd gone back up and Vorlich and followed the proper path, this path was god awful, muddy, slippy, boggy, you name it :(
IMG_7729.JPG
Looking back to Stuc a' Chroin.
After much slipping and sliding, i finally hit firm ground and from there it was a nice amble back down to the car. The autumnal colours were looking nice now that the sun was catching the trees and lighting them up 8)
IMG_7741.JPG
Down to Loch Earn.
Went passed the impressive Ardvorlich House, on the correct path :? before heading home, having had a great day out :)
IMG_7750.JPG
Ardvorlich House.
Last edited by mamoset on Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Ben Vorlich & Stuc a' Chroin

Postby dav2930 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:53 pm

Nice couple of Munros; you got some good photos of the views - it looked a cracking day. I remember skirting round the side of Vorlich to avoid climbing it twice and thinking the same as you; probably would have been easier going back over the top, plus you'd get the views that were behind you on the ascent. :? :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby jmarkb » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:16 pm

Some cracking views in there - really shows that autumn is here! :D

dav2930 wrote:I remember skirting round the side of Vorlich to avoid climbing it twice and thinking the same as you; probably would have been easier going back over the top, plus you'd get the views that were behind you on the ascent.

Another option is to go over Ben Our, which also has good (and slightly different views). There is a faint path from the col to the summit and then towards Sron Mhor where it fades out amongst some peat hags, but you can then make an easy grassy descent to pick up the track around NN630215.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby jamesb63 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:28 pm

Very nice pics :clap: :clap: I done this walk today and it was something else
had 360 degree Inversions and a Brocken Spectre thrown in for good measure :lol:
I stayed high of the path back after you come off Stuc and it was not to bad
in fact I wear approach shoes and had dry feet at the end :D
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby KatTai » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:27 pm

Lovely report and great photos! These two are on my to-do list for next year, think unless we get some very dry weather I'll just go back over Vorlich as I haven't read much good about the other way! And I hate getting my feet wet!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby mamoset » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:41 am

dav2930 wrote:Nice couple of Munros; you got some good photos of the views - it looked a cracking day. I remember skirting round the side of Vorlich to avoid climbing it twice and thinking the same as you; probably would have been easier going back over the top, plus you'd get the views that were behind you on the ascent. :? :)

Thanks dav, it'll be once bitten twice shy if I ever go back

jmarkb wrote:Some cracking views in there - really shows that autumn is here! :D
Another option is to go over Ben Our, which also has good (and slightly different views). There is a faint path from the col to the summit and then towards Sron Mhor where it fades out amongst some peat hags, but you can then make an easy grassy descent to pick up the track around NN630215.

Hi jmark, I did consider going over Ben Our, but was wet, dirty and p***ed off by the time I hit that path :lol:

jamesb63 wrote:Very nice pics :clap: :clap: I done this walk today and it was something else
had 360 degree Inversions and a Brocken Spectre thrown in for good measure :lol:
I stayed high of the path back after you come off Stuc and it was not to bad
in fact I wear approach shoes and had dry feet at the end :D

Hi james, looks like you had a great day, some nice photo's there. You can't beat a good inversion :D

KatTai wrote:Lovely report and great photos! These two are on my to-do list for next year, think unless we get some very dry weather I'll just go back over Vorlich as I haven't read much good about the other way! And I hate getting my feet wet!

Thanks Kat, I would definitely recommend them. I think you would need a drought for that path to be dry :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby joedugsmith » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:27 am

Great photos,what a difference a good camera makes,hope you had a good drive home,mabey see you again on one of our next outings,Joe.
joedugsmith
Mountaineer

Munros:235   Corbetts:133
Fionas:78   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:120   
Islands:5

Postby mamoset » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:54 am

joedugsmith wrote:Great photos,what a difference a good camera makes,hope you had a good drive home,mabey see you again on one of our next outings,Joe.

Hey joe, was great to meet you and John 8) Drive home was fine, glad you like the photo's :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland