walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Indian Summer........From Coulags with Love

An Indian Summer........From Coulags with Love

Postby Beaner001 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:58 pm

Route description: Maol Chean-dearg ascent, Coulags

Munros included on this walk: Maol Chean-dearg

Corbetts included on this walk: An Ruadh-stac

Date walked: 17/10/2015

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18.4 km

Ascent: 1394m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was going West on this day no matter what. That's what I told myself before bed on the Friday night anyway. When my alarm went off the next morning I hit snooze and really could not be bothered getting up but remembering the weather forecast and all the posts on Facebook etc stating really good weather I forced myself to get up. Of course once the mutts get wind that a day on the hills may be on the cards all hell breaks loose downstairs. :lol:

I had made my mind up the night before that the targets would be the Munro-Corbett double of Maol Chean-dearg and An Ruadh-Stac. In this case it was mainly for the Corbett as I had seen a couple of reports on it and it looked stunning and i planned to save it for a great weather day, well Saturday was that day believe me. :D

Away up the road to Inverness and over to Coulags where I parked in the already full lay by just west of the bridge, I squeezed into the verge and was away up the track signposted for Torridon by the back of 10 am.

IMG_0190.JPG
From Coulags with Love

The dogs were having a ball diving through the vegetation and i was really looking forward to my day ahead. Once a couple of Km's up the track i bumped into an older couple whom i stopped to natter to. It turned out they were from Aberdeen and help run the Camphill school for children with special needs there. What a small world and what a wonderful couple of people dedicating their lives to the children. :clap:

IMG_0193.JPG
Looking North up the glen

IMG_0199.JPG
Looking North, Sgorr Ruadh on the right, the bridge in front

Further up the track i crossed the river and kept going towards the bothy where there were around 8-9 mountain bikers fueling up before carrying on over the track to Torridon, they over took me and to be honest cycling that track looked much harder than walking it :shock: We stopped at the rock where legend has it Fionn MacCumhaill tethered his dogs :wink:

IMG_0206.JPG
My dogs on the tether where Fionn MacCumhaill tethered his dogs

I made the turn off to the left that would take me up to the bealach and it was then the real climbing began, the walk in along the glen was a breeze and now my lack of fitness was becoming more apparent. The remarkable event of the day was the weather, it was roasting in the sun light, i was dripping with sweat but the minute i was in the shadow of Meall nan Ceapairean while going up Bealach a'Choire Ghairbh it felt a lot colder.

IMG_0217.JPG
First sights of the bealach

IMG_0218.JPG
Getting there

IMG_0219.JPG
And again

IMG_0220.JPG
Torridon through the bealach between Sgorr Ruadh and Meall Dearg

IMG_0221.JPG
Sgorr Ruadh (left) and Fuar Tholl (right)

Once i made the bealach it An Ruadh-Stac which caught my eye, the most stunning mountain i've seen in a while, certainly no let down in terms of how much i was looking forward to seeing it in real person. I was leaving it till last so took a right at the bealach to start the ascent up to Maol Chean-dearg.

IMG_0222.JPG
First sight of An Ruadh-Stac from the bealach

The ground was bad and the scree was energy sapping but i made the top of the first section before you drop a bit of height prior to the final push to the summit. It was here i met a nice guy from Inverness with his two spaniels, lovely wee beasts. We nattered for a while before i took off to make the summit as i knew there were a few folks behind me and i wanted the summit to myself for a while before they all joined me.

IMG_0227.JPG
Maol Chean-Dearg coming into sight

IMG_0229.JPG
Looking back to the obsession of the day

The section just before the summit was full of boulders and care had to be taken but we made the summit and the views were stunning :D

IMG_0232.JPG
Summit Maol Chean-dearg

IMG_0233.JPG
Beinn Damh

IMG_0234.JPG
Torridon

IMG_0240.JPG
Beinn Liath Mhor (left) and Sgorr Ruadh (right)

IMG_0242.JPG
Looking over to Monar

IMG_0245.JPG
Beinn Damh

IMG_0247.JPG
The nemesis

We sat for ten minutes before being joined by the guy from Inverness. I left shortly after as i saw one of the walking group approaching whom i spoke to briefly on my way back down. I passed another 4-5 of them before coming across a lady all by her self a fair bit behind the group, she asked me as to their whereabouts and this surprised me, i thought walking groups tended to wait for their slowest member but to me the rest of them were bombing on ahead like they had summit fever or something. :shock: The poor lady said she was just a bit slower but she was desperate to get to the summit, this did stick in my mind throughout the rest of the walk. Shortly after i nearly took a wee tumble and went over my ankle which felt quite bad, however after a few choice swear words i was ok and continued to the bealach. I decided to go up and over the rocks to the south east of Loch a' Mhadaidh Ruadh which i would not recommend as the ground is not the easiest. We made the foot of An Ruadh-Stac and it looked daunting. All rock and chimneys :shock: We took a line to the South west and stuck to it, the first section is on rock which was easy to grip to due to it being dry, i'd not want an attempt at that bit in wet. Once past this section the ground become ruff but faint paths trickle in and out of the climb. The dogs are usually good at finding the easiest way up so i followed them and they didn't let me down. After a few stops for food, water and AIR :shock: i made the dip between the top of the climb and the summit, with the summit cairn in sight we plodded up for a well earned rest. The views were stunning, Torridon, the Fannichs, Strathcarron and Auchnashellach hills looked stunning as well as many more than i knew the name of. From this view we saw the lot :D

IMG_0263.JPG
Summit of An Ruadh-Stac

IMG_0271.JPG
Maol Chean-dearg from An Ruadh-Stac

IMG_0278.JPG
South West along Loch Carron

IMG_0279.JPG
Hazy, hills as far as the eye can see, loch Carron

After 30 minutes i reluctantly left the summit for the steep descent, i took out a walking pole to aid me as i didn't want to go over my ankle again.

IMG_0280.JPG
The route down An Ruadh-Stac

I made it down safely and let the dogs have a swim in the wee Northern part of Loch A'Mhadaidh Ruadh. They enjoyed cooling off and i threw stones in for them to swim after, this lasted about ten minutes before i had to get going again.

IMG_0283.JPG
Dogs cooling off

At the bealach ahead of me were a couple of guys that set a fast pace so i tried to keep up with them to aid my time to getting back. I actually caught them once we reached the glen floor and joined them on the way back to the bothy where we had a look in, what a great bothy with four rooms, two up two down, it's a pity it is so close to the road or i'd probably plan a walk around a night there. I had a rest shortly after that and the two guys took off and i never saw them again. I enjoyed the walk out to the car and once there was delighted with my days efforts.

My thoughts from the summit of An Ruadh-Stac:
Alba nam beanntan ard.........I see the Scotland of high mountains

Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: An Indian Summer........From Coulags with Love

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:19 pm

Great day out in the mountains Matt ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Glad you had good weather condition with the beautiful views :D 8)
Beautiful pics :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:42 pm

Great report and photos of what looked like a brilliant day.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby martin.h » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:06 am

Fantastic place to be Matt in that weather, the views are brilliant, great photos of some really special scenery.
We had similar in Torridon, makes me want to be there :D
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:37 am

Oh I enjoyed that Matt. :D

Really superb photos :clap:

I bet you're glad you hauled your backside out of bed now! :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:02 pm

We almost went up the Bald Head on Saturday, too :lol: but ended up in Glen Affric instead. It was such a superb day, views were great from any peak in northern Scotland!

I saw zilch on my first climb of this Munro due to cloud so I'm dying for a re-visit. An Ruadh-Stac is a cracker, if a bit tricky to find the way up the slabs... Thanks for bringing back memories :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Nice one Matt belter of a day. Tis a bouldery one but I've yet to return for the Corbett it looks a stunner for sure :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:33 pm

Superb - nice spring or autumn days seem to bring out the best in the colours up here - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dav2930 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:13 pm

A fine Munro and an even better Corbett! I remember being mightily impressed by An Ruadh-Stac when going up Maol Chean-Dearg in 2012, but as I wasn't collecting Corbetts I didn't think to go up it - shameful!
Excellent photos. :clap:

Ps - if by any chance you came across a little Samsung Digimax A6 camera somewhere near the summit of MC-D, it's mine! :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:41 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:Great day out in the mountains Matt ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Glad you had good weather condition with the beautiful views :D 8)
Beautiful pics :clap:

Thanks Petr, weather was awesome, felt a wee sting in my face the following day :lol:

Gordie12 wrote:Great report and photos of what looked like a brilliant day.

Ta Gordie, it's a cracker of a Corbett :D

martin.h wrote:Fantastic place to be Matt in that weather, the views are brilliant, great photos of some really special scenery.
We had similar in Torridon, makes me want to be there :D
Cheers.

Love Torridon, it offers amazing views and is certainly worth the wait for good weather that's for sure

pollyh33 wrote:Oh I enjoyed that Matt. :D

Really superb photos :clap:

I bet you're glad you hauled your backside out of bed now! :lol: :lol:

Thanks Polly, sure am glad, I'll get all the sleep I need when I'm deed :lol:

BlackPanther wrote:We almost went up the Bald Head on Saturday, too :lol: but ended up in Glen Affric instead. It was such a superb day, views were great from any peak in northern Scotland!

I saw zilch on my first climb of this Munro due to cloud so I'm dying for a re-visit. An Ruadh-Stac is a cracker, if a bit tricky to find the way up the slabs... Thanks for bringing back memories :D

Yeah it was a bit tricky in places, dry conditions a must. Read your report, a cracker again btw. Cheers

spiderwebb wrote:Nice one Matt belter of a day. Tis a bouldery one but I've yet to return for the Corbett it looks a stunner for sure :D

It's worth it Dave, best Corbett so far for me anyway :lol:
Need to get out over winter for a good rake mate

rockhopper wrote:Superb - nice spring or autumn days seem to bring out the best in the colours up here - cheers :)

Sure do RH, lovely day though cold in the shade, we got a couple of good weeks last November and it seems we're getting a couple this October, long may it last :lol:

dav2930 wrote:A fine Munro and an even better Corbett! I remember being mightily impressed by An Ruadh-Stac when going up Maol Chean-Dearg in 2012, but as I wasn't collecting Corbetts I didn't think to go up it - shameful!
Excellent photos. :clap:

Ps - if by any chance you came across a little Samsung Digimax A6 camera somewhere near the summit of MC-D, it's mine! :lol:

Nope never came across a camera, sorry. It's a belter but I used to be exactly the same as you used to be, ignoring Corbetts for Munros, learnt the hard way though and now love them more sometimes :shock:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby Silverhill » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:59 pm

O wow, certainly worth getting up early for. 8) I’m already looking forward to doing some walking in this area, and have added another Corbett to my list. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:04 pm

Silverhill wrote:O wow, certainly worth getting up early for. 8) I’m already looking forward to doing some walking in this area, and have added another Corbett to my list. :D

Aye, didn't work so well this weekend past, although the weather was said to be ding :lol: that's my excuse anyway. You'll enjoy the area, pick clear days though, the views are remarkable :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:53 pm

Stunning photos, stunning day and oh those dogs - posers for sure :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby dogplodder » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:30 pm

Fond memories of this one as it was my first Torridon after moving north. Your dogs are so well camouflaged on the rock where the guy tethered his hounds I had to look again to actually see them. Should have gone to Specsavers. :roll:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Beaner001 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:09 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Stunning photos, stunning day and oh those dogs - posers for sure :lol: :lol:

Think they get sick of posing for photos but they know the protocol on summits now :lol: :lol:

dogplodder wrote:Fond memories of this one as it was my first Torridon after moving north. Your dogs are so well camouflaged on the rock where the guy tethered his hounds I had to look again to actually see them. Should have gone to Specsavers. :roll:

I wondered myself when I was going through the pics on my phone :lol:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland