walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Climbing Clachnaben

Climbing Clachnaben

Postby K-Burn » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:51 am

Route description: Clachnaben, Glen Dye

Date walked: 02/10/2015

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 483m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In a sea of brown, rounded hills, Clachnaben stands out due to its defining granite tor. As such, it's a popular walk and deservedly so. My friend and I arrived at the car park which lies about half a mile north of the Bridge of Dye just after lunch time and finding a parking space was tricky.

To begin with, the path gently climbs through a coniferous woodland. Unfortunately, we were a week or two too late to see any fly agaric in good condition but there were plenty of chewed up ones hiding in the shade. At the end of the woodland, the path starts to descend and you can see the summit tor looming in the distance.

After the path departs from the woodland, it follows a land rover track which heads downhill. On the return journey, this slope proved to be a difficult one to tackle, largely because we'd expended all our energy climbing the hill. The next half mile follows largely flat ground across a boggy area, although the path is well maintained so unless you go on a rainy day, you won't get wet feet. It's not long before the second woodland is reached and this is when the path finally starts to ascend. With a sense of determination, we hiked on.

The summit never seems to get any closer.

The path up to the top is easy to follow and remains dry. There are the occasional stone steps but for the most part, it's not too much of a slog. We'd decided to take on this hill in the afternoon so by the time we reached the top, the summit tor was blocking out the sun. In a way, the cool breeze in the shadowy side of the hill was refreshing.

The trig point lies 10m lower than the summit and the only way to get to the top is to scale the granite tor. I believe some people use the steep, eastern flank for rock climbing but we took the easier route up the western side. A little climbing is necessary but it's quite easy going. I'm normally the first one in the group to give up and stay at the bottom of anything challenging but I made it up with no problems.

The rocks have been beautifully rounded by the elements.

There's nothing of note close to the summit so the views are of distant hills and fertile Deeside.

The long, afternoon shadow of the tor makes me think of the Matterhorn. Thankfully, this hill is much easier to walk up.

Once we'd explored and climbed around the tor for a while, we decided that to finish off the walk, we had to visit the trig point. After we'd taken some photos it was time to return to civilisation. To get back to the car park, just retrace your steps.

Clachnaben made for a wonderful afternoon walk. Its distinctive granite tor not only stands out in the landscape it finds itself in but it makes for a great destination. For the majority of the walk, it never seems to get closer until you're right at it, then its size becomes apparent. Definitely one to check out if you have a free morning or afternoon.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

K-Burn
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   

Re: Climbing Clachnaben

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:46 pm

Fantastic shots of the tors. Clachnaben is a bit underrated perhaps, not being on any major lists.
Earlier this year, we traversed all the way to Mount Battock from this side, Clachnaben is the best top on this whole long ridge, even Mt Buttock is just a boring heathery lump. The new bulldozed tracks don't really help...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby K-Burn » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:11 am

Thank you for taking the time to read my report and look at the photographs, it's very much appreciated. I largely pick the hills I want to climb based on the view I think I'll get, then deciding if I think morning or afternoon light will provide better conditions for photography. Both my friend and myself remarked that without the tor, we'd have never picked this hill. I've yet to climb Mount Battock but I was in Glen Esk back in September so when I get the chance, I'll write up a report for that walk. The whole upper Angus/lower Aberdeenshire area is beautiful.

Also, apologies for not responding sooner. I'll need to turn on email notifications for this site.
K-Burn
Mountaineer

Postby Guinessman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:51 am

Looks a good viewpoint and well worth a visit, thanks for that
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby basscadet » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:23 pm

Loved the report - I have a lot of happy memories of lots of ascents of this one.. 8)
Glen Dye is the best place in the NE for picking a certain kind of special mushroom ;)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby K-Burn » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:17 pm

Guinessman wrote:Looks a good viewpoint and well worth a visit, thanks for that

Thank you for taking the time to read the report. The distinctive summit makes this one memorable.

basscadet wrote:Loved the report - I have a lot of happy memories of lots of ascents of this one.. 8)
Glen Dye is the best place in the NE for picking a certain kind of special mushroom ;)

Thank you. This was my first time climbing Clachnaben and I'm sure I'll go back (hopefully at a different time of year so that the photography will be different). As for the mushrooms, I hate the taste of them (I know what you're secretly referring to :wink: ) but I like coming across fly agarics. I found one in the Glen Esk area at the beginning of September which was in good condition and my friend and I were hoping to see more like that.
K-Burn
Mountaineer

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:11 am

Some wonderful clear photographs :D . It's a lovely wee hill and deffinately worth a blue balloon. It seems a very popular walk at the weekends as the car parking area is normally quite busy. Thanks for posting your report and photographs are drawing me back there again :D :clap:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby K-Burn » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:56 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Some wonderful clear photographs :D . It's a lovely wee hill and deffinately worth a blue balloon. It seems a very popular walk at the weekends as the car parking area is normally quite busy. Thanks for posting your report and photographs are drawing me back there again :D :clap:

Thanks for taking the time to read this. We went on a Friday and finding a spot in the car park was tricky but since we arrived in the afternoon, most of the people we passed were heading back rather than going up. This also meant that we got the summit to ourselves which is always a massive plus as it's easier to take photographs that way.
K-Burn
Mountaineer

Postby basscadet » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:16 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Some wonderful clear photographs :D . It's a lovely wee hill and deffinately worth a blue balloon. It seems a very popular walk at the weekends as the car parking area is normally quite busy. Thanks for posting your report and photographs are drawing me back there again :D :clap:

It is a very famous hill Rod, especially in the sea faring community.. You know if you are out at sea and head for exactly halfway between Clachnaben and Bennachie, then you will always end up in Aberdeen Harbour? An important landmark indeed :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland