walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meal Tairneachan & Farragon Hill

Meal Tairneachan & Farragon Hill

Postby inca » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:03 pm

Route description: Meall Tairneachan and Farragon Hill

Corbetts included on this walk: Farragon Hill, Meall Tairneachan

Date walked: 20/09/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 880m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

OS Map: 52

Attendees: Me, Big Dog, Small Dog

Walk Highlands route as described.

Notwithstanding an unintended detour to Glen Fender, an early start saw us parking up on the B846 opposite the entrance to Foss mine track at 0900 hours. The first 45 mins was an uneventful plod up the track. Views opened to Schiehallion to the west. Pretty enough but the landscape was littered with huge diggers and tractors on the way ahead.

Shortly after leaving the woodland behind, the dogs disappeared after a deer in the direction of Doire Leathan. Small Dog came back after 5 mins, Big Dog after 20 mins. Enough time for me to run into, and in a sense become part of, an excursion by ‘Highland Safari’. They had 4 vehicles – 3 long wheel base Land Rovers and a yellow WWII DUKW one.

After they left, we carried on the up the good track and detoured near its highest point to reach the summit of Meall Tairneachan. A short and easy pleasant ascent which I then counter-balanced by picking a dreadful route on the way down. West, slippery grass on steep ground – a poor mix.

We continued east on the track and then hit the mine itself. Limestone bags were stockpiled as if on a building site and the streams around were turned milky white and turquoise. It was a relief to leave the place behind.

And then the approach to Farragon Hill. What to say about this? It was dreadful. Slow, soggy ground with knee-twisting tussocks for the unwary. Didn’t enjoy this one bit, either going up or coming down. Visually, Farragon reminded me very much of Curlywee, the Donald in the Borders.

Return as outward route. We ran into the ‘Highland Safari’ crew again. Joy. Saying that, we did stumble across a couple of open wooden bothies which they seem to maintain near Meall Tairneachan. Spent a pleasant 20 mins here. As bothies go, they were first class accommodation.

Back to the car for 1400 hours and the A9 home.
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland