walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lost on Lui Part II: Outstanding on Oss

Lost on Lui Part II: Outstanding on Oss

Postby Jaxter » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:59 pm

Route description: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Lui, Ben Oss

Date walked: 19/10/2015

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 1640m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my failure at the Tyndrum 4 last Wednesday, I decided that I would use my last day off to complete the four-some. My plan was to walk all the way along the path, up the bealach in between Lui and Oss, up the shoulder, across to Dubhcraig and then either down the boggy path if visibility was poor or head down to Cononish Farm and along the track if I could see where I was going. I was going to stick to the plan and not do anything where I could potentially get lost again. I wanted my second trip down Glen Cononish to be simple and enjoyable.

I arrived at Dalrigh and set off at 7.35am, it was still slightly dark but the walk along the track was not difficult. The skies were clear and I could see for miles, it was a good start.

Here we go again....

Approaching Cononish

The weather for the early part of the morning was good, intermittent cloud from around 10ish and then closing in about 1. As I walked down the track I was treated to spectacular views of Lui and could see almost my whole walk.

It was at this point that I thought “wouldn’t it be nice to get up Lui in good weather” and I mulled this over as I approached the Farm. “Stick to the plan” I told myself. I passed the farm and then decided to throw caution to the wind. I walked down across bog towards the river, crossed a deer fence (it was already fallen down!) and then sloshed my way through a bog and limbo-ed my way under a fence and I’d reached the river. Here I discovered why everyone describes Dubhcraig as the bog by which every other bog must be measured. Even on the higher slopes it was squishy and although my trousers got pretty wet, the Scarpas kept my feet dry!

The locals

Looking back

I meandered my way up the grassy slopes towards the Dubhcraig ridge where I found a path leading all the way past the wee lochans up to the summit. 9.50am, not bad. Cue absolutely stunning views down Loch Lomond, of Oss and Lui and everywhere else. Too many photos to choose from here.

Lui in the sun

Loch Lomond

Towards Loch Fyne

Before the days of the Jaxter pose :lol:

Ben More & Stob Binnein

Two minutes later the cloud descended and I beat a hasty retreat. Headed back down to the lochans and followed the path up Oss.

The main path seemed to go straight on which I thought weird, I followed a less obvious one up the ridge into the cloud. I was keen to avoid this walk report becoming “Lost on Lui Part II: Lost on Oss” As I climbed the cloud was intermittent and although I eventually reached the summit in the mist, it quickly cleared giving me amazing views over to Lui.

Number 33!

Wee bit of cloud blowing around

Lui from Oss, calling to me :roll:

It was only just after 11 so I decided to climb down the other side of Oss to the bealach, at which point I could assess the weather, the time and my legs to see whether I wanted to climb up to the summit of Lui for the 4th time this week….

All the way down, the views were incredible, Lui looked clear and I realised that I was always going to go up. I started up the grassy slopes and followed a vague path most of the way. My legs started screaming at me very quickly but I pushed on fuelled by the remains of my Lucozade and the thought of a view from the top.

Looking back at Oss from halfway up Lui

Still clear behind.... 8)

I started up the final rocky bit and in came the clag, not just cloud or mist but full on clag :shock: I reached the summit cairn in a white out, the identical view to what I’d had on Wednesday. I was pretty annoyed and waited around a few minutes in the hope that it might clear but it soon became obvious that the weather was here to stay :crazy: :?

Ugghhhhh

It was cold and there was no view, so after deciding that Lui really didn’t like me, there was nothing to do but head down. I headed for the ridge - it seemed insanely steep and slippy at the top :shock: It hadn’t seemed so bad before but I had come up it last time!

Eventually I came out of the minging weather at the top of the path into the corrie and, after shedding a few clothes, headed down.

Donald Duck lochans

Finally clear of the clag

As I reached the corrie, I could see that every other mountain in sight was clear :roll:

Water features

But Lui had her own weather system and it was set to “annoy Jackie”

This was confirmed as the cloud was following me down and I was starting to feel drops of rain blowing into me. I sped up and eventually reached the track ready for the long walk back to the car.

Quick march along the track, but before long, not content with throwing me off the mountain, Lui’s rain was chasing me down the valley and I was forced to stop and don my rain jacket :roll:

I said hello to my some chicken friends (they ignored me)

I eventually reached the car just before 3 and could see the weather still approaching.

It seems that I’ve picked a fight with a giant piece of rock with it’s own weather system. There’s only really going to be one winner here unfortunately :lol:

However, I am glad to have finally conquered these mountains! And tomorrow, back to work. After 4 trips and 10 munros in 8 days (just worked out at 89km and 6555m of ascent!!!), I feel like I need another day off to recover!
Last edited by Jaxter on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Lost on Lui Part II: Outstanding on Oss

Postby GeorgiePorgie » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:12 pm

Great report and pics. Well done in conquering these hills. These are on my radar soon to bag as I have just done the Crianlarich 7. It's just a matter of good luck to get a cloud-free hill. Several times I have reached the summit in cloud and mist only for it to clear when you are on the descent walk-out.
GeorgiePorgie
Munro compleatist

Postby jwillo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:29 pm

Hi jackster scousers says hello :D
jwillo
Stravaiging

Munros:86   

Postby happyfut » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:20 pm

Just in ours thinking of you up their little bit jealous coz not on a mountain but me whiskey is fine and I no I'll be up their next week climbing more hiiiii hoooow
happyfut
Munro compleatist

Postby Jaxter » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:30 pm

GeorgiePorgie wrote:Great report and pics. Well done in conquering these hills. These are on my radar soon to bag as I have just done the Crianlarich 7. It's just a matter of good luck to get a cloud-free hill. Several times I have reached the summit in cloud and mist only for it to clear when you are on the descent walk-out.

Yeah I know it's just luck, seemed a little unfair that of the 4 times I was on the summit this week that not once did I get a view. I'm going to go ahead and take it personally :lol:

jwillo wrote:Hi jackster scousers says hello :D

Yay!!

happyfut wrote:Just in ours thinking of you up their little bit jealous coz not on a mountain but me whiskey is fine and I no I'll be up their next week climbing more hiiiii hoooow

Dead jealous, I'm working this weekend :(
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland