walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Binnein an Fhidhleir Ridge

The Binnein an Fhidhleir Ridge

Postby iainR » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Binnein an Fhìdhleir (or Stob Coire Creagach)

Date walked: 17/10/2015

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 845m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Taking full advantage of the recent dry spell i headed up to the Butterbridge in order to tackle Stob Coire Creagach aka
Binnein an Fhidhleir.By the time i drove into Arrochar it was late morning and hardly a patch of fog in sight, perfect !
I left the car at the large parking area near the old Butterbridge and initially followed the WH route up the hillside which as expected was very steep.
Old Butterbridge wh__.jpg
The old Butterbridge

View of Butterbridge wh__.jpg
Butterbridge from the first gully

Having walked up the first grass gully between the crags i wandered north east along the boggy area at Coire Creagach for a while then tackled another ultra steep grass gully further down which got me on to the ridge allowing me more time walking on it.
Coire Creagach wh__.jpg
The ridge near Coire Creagach

Binnein an Fhidhleir wh__.jpg
View of Glen Kinglas

Beinn Ime from Binnein an Fhidhleir wh_.jpg
Beinn Ime from the ridge

Lunch was spent at the summit cairn of Stob Coire Creagach where the views were superb with the neighbouring mountains casting giant shadows in the low October sun.All too soon i pressed on to Binnein an Fhidhleir where i met a couple of fellow hillwalkers, the first that day.They were going back along the ridge to the head of Glen Kinglas but i had decided to take a more direct route off the hill as in straight down to the road once i had skirted around the last of the Fhidhleir's crags.Its a quick way down but might not be for everyone as there is a deer fence to negotiate and thigh deep ferns and tussock grass near the bottom followed by an unpleasant walk along the grass verge next to the busy A83 in order to reach the Butterbridge.A less than perfect end to an otherwise fantastic autumn day spent in one of my favourite areas.
Summit of Stob Coire Creagach wh__.jpg
Summit of Stob Coire Creagach

Binnein an Fhidhleir wh3__.jpg
Binnein an Fhidhleir from Creag Bhrosgan

Summit of Binnein an Fhidhleir wh__.jpg
Summit of Binnein an Fhidhleir

the way down__.jpg
My way down
iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland