walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

sandwood bay -well worth the fame

sandwood bay -well worth the fame

Postby blueyed » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:12 pm

Route description: Sandwood Bay

Date walked: 01/09/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

after a very quiet night spent in scourie we drove further north, to sandwood bay
i have to mention that the night was fantastic - only missing one element (northern lights) - i was woken up at night by a strong beam of light. i thought that the guys from nearby tent must have gone to the car for some reason and switch headlights on straight into our tent's direction. but it lasted sometime and i couldnt hear any noise whatsoever so i investigated :) i poked out my head from the tent and couldnt believe what i saw. full moon shining in full strength, the light was so strong that i could see proper shadows of tent's poles and wouldnt have any trouble to go for a walk to the beach. amazing.

anyway, it was just a shortish drive to rhiconich and then further to blairmore (1hr) where the path to sandwood bay starts.
there is a car park & toilets, hard to miss.
as the day was extremely windy we wanted to make tea and take it with us, but there was no way to light the stove in that wind - then, as there wasnt anybody else around we decided that toilets are nice and fresh and we can hide there and boil water for tea. yeah!

walking to sandwood bay from this car park takes about 1.5-2 hrs (each way)
luckily we walked with the wind (one way...) and it rained only for few minutes so the walk was pleasurable thou longish, via featureless moorland with some 3 or 4 lochans. there is only one path in the area so no need to have a map, you cant get lost.
as soon as we approached sandwood bay, all changed.
dramatic coastline, lovely dunes, beautiful sun-lightened beach and a nice sea-stack. what a perfect set :) oh, and a crowd of people - crowd of 4, including us. pretty manageable :)

a longish walk from car park to the bay takes us via featureless moorland

approaching sandwood bay

great place, well worth the longish walk. i will definitely go back :)

more pics on my photoblog around scotland @ blogspot
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland