walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Life on Mars

Life on Mars

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:00 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgritheall

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgritheall

Date walked: 24/10/2015

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 970m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Rain, sleet, snow, high winds were predicted and still we went :D :D

Luckily for us the forecasters were so off yet again ! 8) 8) 8)

A brilliant day out with Jonny, Hazel and Debbie and the very energetic Bob and Travis :clap: :clap: :clap:

Straight up from the road to join the descent path, through the face-smacking trees, out onto a better path to the lochan and then up the winding path through the rocks and stones to the top.

Pretty much base-layers until the 700m mark where we got a short flurry of hailstones on the way up and on the way down- very strange! Then jackets on and hoods up when we reached the summit. The conditions were good enough to have a decent stop for lunch and some photos, although it was clagged in for the only time of the walk. :( :(

Otherwise the views were amazing, especially seeing Ladhar Bheinn with a light covering on snow on her ridge :D :D

Once back on the tarmac we said our farewells to the lovely Debbie and Hazel and then Jonny and I went for a mooch about Glen Elg ( Earth) and both praised this munro bagging lark for making us visit parts of Scotland that we would otherwise be completely unaware of.

PS I managed quick sneaky peek of the YH at Ratagan earlier on in the day ( I was lost!). Lovely and warm in the kitchen area!!!
s1r.jpg
s2r.jpg
s3r.jpg
s4r.jpg
s5r.jpg
s6r.jpg
s7r.jpg
s8r.jpg
s9r.jpg
s10r.jpg
s11r.jpg
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Life on Mars

Postby Alan S » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:32 pm

Hi Polly, sorry to hijack your blog but can I ask did yous drive up and down on the same day or did you stay the night up there ? I have looked at this for a while with an early start and only up and down the same way as you done but have wondered if this was too long a day for driving back.

Nice pics by the way, glad the forecasters got it wrong again

Thanks
Alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:18 pm

Alan S wrote:Hi Polly, sorry to hijack your blog but can I ask did yous drive up and down on the same day or did you stay the night up there ? I have looked at this for a while with an early start and only up and down the same way as you done but have wondered if this was too long a day for driving back.

Nice pics by the way, glad the forecasters got it wrong again

Thanks
Alan

Hi Alan,

Yeah I picked Jonny(from his house) at 5am, stopped at McD's in Fort William for about 30 mins and we were at the start easily by 10am. It took us 5.5 hours to do the hill but it could have been at least 40 mins faster- we did a lot of chatting and stopped for a fair amount at the summit. We were all changed and back on the road by 4pm ish, so no probs going back down the road. I honestly wasn't knackered when I was driving.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by pollyh33 on Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Alan S » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:32 pm

Thanks for that polly, really helpfull :D

McD's ! bet that was Jonny's idea :lol:

Cheers again
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:17 pm

Alan S wrote:Thanks for that polly, really helpfull :D

McD's ! bet that was Jonny's idea :lol:

Cheers again

Yep!!!!!
pollyh33
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland